8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The worlds first Feature Film is 100 yrs old

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The worlds first Feature Film is 100 yrs old
Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2006 04:15 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was listening to an interesting item on the Film Programme on BBC R4 yesterday, it was about the film recognised as being the worlds first feature length film. The film was about the "Kelly Gang", it was released in Australia in 1906 to great public aclaim. Interestinigly as it toured, it grew in length! Apparently it started off at about 40 minutes and is thought to have ended up at about 70! Very little of it survives today, about 16 minutes in total and this is made up of fragments that have been found all over the world.

It's a very interesting story which is still available to hear again for the next couple of days here; http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/filmprogramme/filmprogramme.shtml

The item is billed thus;

quote:
The Story of the Kelly Gang
The first ever feature film was released one hundred years ago, in December 1906. Only 16 minutes of The Story of the Kelly Gang survive, but it remains a cinematic landmark and one of Australia's great cultural artefacts. The film historian Ian Christie joins Francine from Australia, where celebrations to mark the centenary are in full swing, to discuss the film.

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC