8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » First Pressing LP

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: First Pressing LP
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 03, 2007 02:38 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

This is OOP but I believe a lot of members here are also collectong Vinyl. It can be seen from the response on the topico of Vinyl Resurgence .

So rather than asking in other designated forums and wait for a long time for the answer, I decided to throw the questions here.

My questions are:

1. How we can know that one LP is a first pressing?
2. Since during the heydey, Vinyls were pressed in several countries, how can we say that one particular country's pressing is higher value than the other's?
3. Are all first pressing LPs having high value? no matter what album they are?

Please help me!

thanks,

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2007 04:28 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Winbert,

I too still have/collect albums, but I am no pro at this.
The info on editions and masters can be found in the runout grooves of an LP (towards the label.)In there you will see the matrix and master numbers and letters to indicate the edition and stamper used.

From what little I know, the higher the alphabet letter, the more recent the pressing (as in starting with A as the first run.)

As far as value, the market and circumstance pretty well determines that.
Bob Dylan's first LP was pulled almost as soon as it was released because of some controversial songs, then re-released in edited form. The original release basically vanished until a man picked up a copy in mono at a church flea market for $1 a few years back. It sold for about $10.000. Had it been in stereo, it would have fetched around twice that.
So first edition is only a good selling point if the artist and the album is considered collectible for whatever reason.
I hope this is of some help.
Claus Harding.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 05, 2007 05:39 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Clauss,

That helps me much. One question that is not answered yet, i.e.: since many countries released the same album almost at the same time, would also every first press of every country have higher value. For example, Hong Kong or Australia also pressed that Bob Dylan's album. Will their first run be higher in the value too?.

Regards,

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC