8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » BRITISH SUMMER TIME (Daylight savings time)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BRITISH SUMMER TIME (Daylight savings time)
David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2007 04:13 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How's this for a thought?.......

Why bother to put our clocks forward - after all, we're a group dedicated to living in the past! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

|  IP: Logged

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2007 05:52 AM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting thought David. Today at work I feel like I have started much earlier. The light evenings for me stops any film shows unless run much later. Personaly I dont like being driven by, and told what to buy by the maufacturers selling the latest super duper systems on offer. Then a few years later another load of system wars. If going to conventions is living in the past along with running film shows ar home is living in the past then so be it. I suppose people who like steam trains or any thing from the past may be tared with the same brush. Anyway thats my input anybody else?

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2007 06:12 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well said, Colin - particularly the comment about steam trains; here I go again, for that's me too. Many of my films are about the steam era, especially 19th century in North America. [Cool]

I also have an HO gauge model railroad in the attic of that era, (yet another hobby), featuring northern USA locomotives and rolling stock. I even have a logging branch line to add to the interest! [Eek!]

Cheers,

--------------------
Dave.

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2007 06:38 AM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David sounds great. Any chance of some pictures? More comments from other members would be appreciate Colin

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 26, 2007 06:44 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AAAHHHH LOVELY DAYLIGHT etc.
Mark.

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2007 07:54 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I had the room, I would have an HO Guage layout. I love model trains, but it's been many years since I've been involved in this hobby.

My second bedroom is full of films and projectors.

Regards.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2007 09:37 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Colin, I'll try to do some pictures sometime this year of the layout. The thing is, my mother-in law is living with us now - well, not actually with us - but in a totally self-contained extension which we had built onto the house, and the loft/attic is pretty well full of her stuff which we are gradually disposing of. This means that the layout is pretty inaccessible right now, but in the fullness of time, I'll get my railroad back. [Frown] [Mad] The sacrifices we make in the name of family!! In the meantime, I might be able to take a few snaps of some of the locos and rolling stock.

Have to be careful, though, that we don't turn this into a Model Railroading Forum!!! [Big Grin] (Apologies to Kev & Doug).

I've also promised John Clancy that I'd post a few pictures of my projectors, which I hope to do on Wednesday. It's probably a pretty poor show compared with some more ardent projector collectors of the Forum, as I have only 5. [Frown] [Embarrassed] - - at the moment!!

But at least I've tried to ensure that they're all kept in pristine condition. I think I'm really pleased with them on the whole.

They are:

Elmo E-80; Standard 8 silent
Ampro Futurist 8; Standard 8 silent
Eumig S810D; (Set up for Standard 8) magnetic sound
Elmo ST-1200HD; Super 8 magnetic sound
Ampro Stylist Major Mk2; 16mm optical sound

Any ideas as to what ought to be my next purchase? (Answers on a postcard, please)!!

Cheers for now,

--------------------
Dave.

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2007 12:30 PM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David

Don’t let the lack of space put you off your railway; if you ever get the chance to visit Keith Wilton at home, he has a very nice railway set up running though his garden.

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2007 01:57 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing would put me off the railway, Craig - just can't get to the bl***y thing! [Mad]

--------------------
Dave.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 27, 2007 04:08 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David
A few weeks ago we just put our clocks back [Frown] getting ready for winter although the weather out here is really nice at the moment, regarding train sets when I was young I had a small Hornby train set, it was brilliant hours of fun, one of the joys I remember was putting little plastic army men on the tracks, and to get the train up to full speed and try to run them over, [Roll Eyes] when I got older I gave it away to a friend of mine to give to his younger brother, many years later when I returned to visit my parents in the UK, I bumped into my friend who reminded me of the hours of fun his younger brother had with that train set so long ago. I was really pleased to hear that it had been well looked after.

Graham. [Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 27, 2007 11:42 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just switched our clocks forward for Springtime (Sorry, Graham!)

Somewhere beneath the putrid remnants of last Fall's leaves there is a loop of number one gauge (LGB) track out in my back yard. Wonderful trains: even the smallest engines are well over a pound and they are large and steady enough to mount a Super-8 camera and get some nice onboard POV shots.

I have a small Mamod live steam locomotive which has the annoying habit of derailing, turning over and bursting into flames. Perhaps I should buy the Mamod fire engine to go with it.

Last winter I thought I'd dig out a couple of inches of snow and get some nice sequences in Plus-X, One Saturday I went out armed for battle with a trowel and found that the snow had iced up. After I spent about 15 minutes digging out about 3 feet of track (out of roughly 75), I went inside, got a beer, sat on the couch and decided it wasn't worth it after all.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC