8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Movie Competition

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Movie Competition
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 30, 2007 11:28 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First prize, tickets to your nearest multi-plex, just kidding [Wink] , see if you can guess the following movies, some are tricky.
 -

-

-
This one is on Super8 {above photo}
 -
Hint...Well known and filmed in Scotland {above photo}
 -

-
How are you getting on? well here is the last one.
 -

Graham.

|  IP: Logged

Lars Pettersson
Master Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2007 11:57 PM      Profile for Lars Pettersson   Email Lars Pettersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
#5 + 6:
Mutiny On The Bounty + The day The Earth Stood Still

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 02, 2007 03:36 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lars
Well done 5 is "Mutiny On The Bounty" 1935
6 is "The Day The Earth Stood Still" 1951

Graham [Smile]

Anyone else? [Roll Eyes]

Lars Pettersson
Master Film Handler

- posted April 02, 2007 03:54 AM      Profile for Lars Pettersson   Email Lars Pettersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(exclaims) "I knew it!" [Big Grin]

Lars

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 02, 2007 07:26 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. The Magnificent seven

2. The Alamo

5. Mutiny on the Bounty

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted April 02, 2007 12:11 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, its great to see Paulette Goddard in the last picture. She certainly deserved an Oscar in her life time.. Just love that actress.

Picture is from Reap the Wild Wind.

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 03, 2007 07:20 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Number 4 is "Midge" from "Ring of Bright Water".

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 03, 2007 03:01 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone
Well done everyone, I wasen't sure if anyone would have picked "Ring Of Bright Water" well done Barry, a charming film apart from the sad ending, beautiful scenery, starring Bill Travers and Virginia McKenna, "Born Free".

No 3 might be a bit hard, it was made in 1933-34 off the western coast of Ireland, an award-winning film by a famous american filmaker, and was released on Super8 on a 600ft reel.

Graham [Smile]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 03, 2007 05:18 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Number 3 is from Robert Flaherty's quasi documentary "Man of Aran". As with his "Nanook of the North", Flaherty staged a number of sequences in the film. I didn't know it was available in 8mm.

At the tender age of nine, the end of "Ring of Bright Water" made me bawl my eyes out. I'll never watch that film again!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 04, 2007 04:06 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug
I remember "Man Of Aran" being advertised in an old mag somewhere so I had a look through old Movie Maker and Film Making came across it in a Film to buy and Hire 1979 list, that came with Oct 79 issue of "Film Making" it was a { PM.B} release not sure what the B stands for, although not stating the length pretty sure it was a 600ft, lately that very film came up on our local internet site but I wasen't allowed to buy it [Frown] although the film was staged, the people in the film were real islanders not actors and they did endure hardship living on those barren islands, one scene that I thought dangerous was the young kid fishing from the edge of a very high cliff, how he cast his line and pulled it in was amazing, and this is how they really did it, a fascinating film to watch, the huge waves pounding those cliffs reminded me of the David Lean film "Ryan's Daughter" the storm also filmed on the west coast of Ireland.

Graham.

PS Its amazing the effect films can have on you when you are young, my son was upset when we once watched the Super8 release of King Kong, seeing how Kong was treated and killed really upset him, and even to this day he will never watch it, I got rid of the print.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 28, 2007 04:37 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, here are a few more [Roll Eyes]
 -
Hint, Acadamy Award 1930.
 -
Filmed in 24 countries on 70mm.
 -
Thats the tricky one.
 -
A classic from 1940
 -
My favourite word spoken in this movie was, "Blast" remember it, and which actor spoke it. [Wink]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 28, 2007 07:37 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,

Great fun! I got em' all, but I'll just do two. The tricky one is "The Black Stallion Returns" and the 70mm film is one of Jan and Chip's favorites, "Baraka".

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 02, 2007 02:47 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Doug
Jan and Chip were certainly right regarding "Baraka" it is one of those rare films that everyone should watch, as well as stunning photography its a real insight into how we live. Its been interesting posting these images, glad you had fun picking out the movies, I will finish with one more, one of my favourite films any guess. anyone [Roll Eyes]
 -
Graham [Smile]

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2007 04:32 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shirley Valentine, one of my favourite films too... [Smile]

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2007 10:01 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you can find it, director Mike Leigh's "Secrets and Lies" is also one of my top ten pics. Brenda Blethn stars as a woman living in England who had a baby she gave up for adoption. Years later, the child travels to England to meet her birth Mother. The rest, you must see to believe. Extremely recommended - langauge and violence for adult audiences.

CG

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC