8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Where do you store your films?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Where do you store your films?
Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted April 23, 2007 05:40 PM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just been responding to comments from 'er indoors about how much real estate my growing 16mm (and 8mm) film collection is taking up.

Where do you keep your films?

My large porch already houses my phonograph collection (cylinders and disks), so that's out - even though it's north facing and nice and cool and dry!

The garage is too damp, the attic is just too everything wrong!

That just leaves under the stairs, and that's where I keep the projectors.

I'm seriously considering an extension with built in projection booth come film storage room. This might just fly - my wife has several thousand books spilling out of her upstairs study, so we do need a downstairs library; there are some interesting cracks in the ceiling plaster!

So, any creative, and cheaper, suggestions?

Stewart

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 23, 2007 10:40 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stuart
Sounds like an extension might be the best bet, pity about the garage and attic, Keith Wilton made a number of excellent videos a few years ago "Armchair Odeons" collectors home cinems, which included converted garages, attics etc, all very interesting what people can achieve with little room and budget, the tapes were available from Derann, might be worth checking out, we built our home cinema a few years ago, the photos are in the screening room pictures part of the forum, well whatever you choose it sounds like a fun project.

Graham.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted April 24, 2007 04:55 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Stewart
My friend keeps his films under the stairs which is possibly the best place as its cool in the main. Lofts do get very hot in the summer so would not leave there as a speedy colour fade may come about with much pinking going on. Its very difficult to know where on earth to keep them and I am in the same boat as you. These days I work on the principle of when was the last time I bothered to watch that film, and how much dust is it collecting. If I have not watched for a couple of years its out the door as it’s a case of keeping for keeps sake here. At the moment that’s the best way I have found to broach the issue of being short of space.

Now projectors, that’s another issue !

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 24, 2007 07:07 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Stewart!

I store my "high fade" colour prints (eastman stock) in the fridge, only taking them out for screening. My fridge is one of those non moisture fridges, but I keep each indivisual feature in a large freezer bag ANG selica gel packs in the bag,
(to keep potential moisture at bay.) I've seen what having a film in a high moisture fridge does to film.

It's a BAD thing!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2007 08:45 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have most of my super 8 films in larger boxes on shelves in my basement we are lucky not to have soil that maintains water so it never has that damp feeeling although i do run a humidifier inthe summer.
my 16 mm films i built a space under my work bench with dorrs to house them and a projector.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2007 01:54 PM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In two old non-working fridge freezers (upright variety) out in the garage.They seal very well and store miles of film.No damp,humidity just a constant cool temperature all times of the year.

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted April 25, 2007 03:34 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a Queen Anne hutch, are three shlves with Blackhawk films, all upright, a small sapce and the bottom shelf holds 7 Castle Films, again satnding straight - All the rest are in Georgia-Pacific Paper Boxes, or Banker's Boxes and stacked neatly in the bedroom - It's quite cool up here on the 2nd Watchung Mountain range, even humid summers do not affect these films, I have an air conditioner unit directly in their favor - Never encountered warpage or such - Shorty

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC