8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Pink Panther cartoons

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pink Panther cartoons
James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 04, 2007 01:12 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Growing up on the east coast in the 70's, Pink Panther cartoons were a regular staple at movie theaters. One was always shown before the trailers and the main feature. This suddenly stopped in the early to mid 80's.

Were Pink Panther cartoons shown in other parts of the country or in the U.K.? I'm very curious about this.

Thanks.

James.

|  IP: Logged

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 04, 2007 01:15 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember seeing Pink Panther cartoons in the late sixties at theaters in the Memphis area where I grew up. I am now, of course, in Manassas , Va. and have collected two or three of those cartoons. They all still have excellent color and are very imaginatively done. Sherlock Pink is my favorite.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 04, 2007 04:41 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, I'm not old enough to remember them in the movie theater, but I saw many reruns of them on network TV on the Pink Panther show. Personally, I thought the series was at it's best in the first year, and then became repetitive after that, (still somewhat funny, however).

It's too bad that these were not released in thier original scope versions on super 8 (or were they?)

"Prehistoric Pink" was one of my favorites. "The Inspector" cartoons were also quite good.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2007 04:02 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James, we had them here in Australia. They were distributed by United Artists both in the US and Australia. They ran supporting United Artists films (like Rocky, James Bond etc).

The major chains stopped running shorts here in the mid-1980's, but like you they were one of my favourite theatrical cartoon shorts made. In fact they were almost the last made-for-cinema cartoons. Many of the gags were recycled Warner Bros ones from the 1950's as Irving Friz Freleng ran the Depatie-Freleng company that made them for UA.

I love both the Pink Panther and Inspector on Super 8 and 16mm. Up until the mid 1980's here we still had Warner Bros. - WB, Tom and Jerry - MGM, Mister Magoo - Columbia, Disney- BVI, cartoons supporting the respective studios feature films. Finally it all went to feature only presentations by 1986.

We are running a Mickey Mouse cartoon with Meet The Robinsons during its season here at the lunar Drive-in. The kids love it, if only they knew Boat Builders was made before even most of their parents were born!

David

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2007 06:20 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info guys!

I don't see these for sale on super 8 very often. Did Derann release any of these?

A scope Pink Panther on super 8 would be great! Especially if it could be printed from a 35mm negative (dream on [Wink] ).

I remember during the 90's, there was a slight re-surgence of cartoon shorts at the start of a show. It was brand new beautiful prints of some of the famous Warner Brothers classics. This only lasted a couple of years, sadly. During that time, you could still catch them on television. Now, classic cartoons are almost non-existent on T.V..

Still, there's just something about Pink Panther on the big screen. Bring on the hot-buttered popcorn and the Raininets!! [Big Grin] .

James.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted May 07, 2007 09:35 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pink Panther cartoons were quite popular over here in France. So popular that Film Office (our defunct #1 super 8 company) released a long list of titles in silent and sound 200ft reels. I have quite a bunch of them. And the pink colour doesn't come from any fading process [Wink] . Like most other titles from this company, colours are holding really well.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 07, 2007 10:23 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean, could you verify as to whether there were any cinevision or scope super 8 Pink Panther shorts?

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted May 07, 2007 10:28 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, none of the French-released titles were in scope. I wouldn't know about releases in other countries.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2007 07:39 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

I can't actually recall any of the Pink Panthers in scope at the cinemas I saw them in or worked at. From memory they were all full frame, but made safe for projection at widescreen 1.85:1 aspect ratio as almost all cinemas were in the 70's and 80's for flat films.

I could have missed the scope ones, but did not notice any I saw on TV as scope either, perhaps they were very well done pan and scans.

We did run plenty of the Tom and Jerry scope cartoons as re-issues with MGM films and I do recall some of the later United Artists cartoons (Hoot Klute etc) in scope too.

Let me know what Pink Panthers were in scope, I would love to hunt some copies in 16mm if they were not on Super 8.

David

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2007 06:02 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

the "Pink Panther" (alias "Der rosarote Panther", "Paulchen Panther" or only "Paulchen" - sometimes the "Panther" was written "Panter") was shown in Western Germany cinemas as well.

There have been at least these Super8-releases with a German soundtrack (all in colour except for the Revue-titles; none of them in CS):

Der rosarote Panther (POP): Piccolo 7579
Der rosarote Panther - Paulchen der Glücksritter: Piccolo 3330
Der rosarote Panther - Paulchen, der Ritter ohne Furcht und Tadel: Piccolo 3316
Der rosarote Panther - Paulchens lustige Abenteuer: Piccolo 3317
Der rosarote Panther - Paulchen und das verrückte Pferd: Piccolo 3333
Der rosarote Panther - Paulchen und der Zauberlehrling: Piccolo 3331
Der rosarote Panther - Paulchen und der zerstreute Sterngucker: Piccolo 3332
Der rosarote Panther und das verrückte Pferd: Revue 8769
Der rosarote Panther und der verrückte Professor: Revue 8730
Der rosarote Panther und der zerstreute Sternengucker: Revue ??
Die Abenteuer des rosaroten Panther: Inter-Pathe: RP12
Pink Panther: Adelheit, der Straßenschreck: Marketing 1013
Pink Panther: Bitte recht freundlich: Marketing 1017
Pink Panther: Der rosarote Baron: Marketing 1011
Pink Panther: der rosarote Ritter: Marketing 1016
Pink Panther: Flattermann: Marketing 1019
Pink Panther: Mister Dynamit: Marketing 1021
Pink Panther: Mäuschen aus dem Häuschen: Marketing 1014
Pink Panther: Ohne Zittern hinter Gittern: Marketing 1020
Pink Panther: Paulchen an der Angel: Marketing 1015
Pink Panther: Super Paul: Marketing 1018
Pink Panther: Symphonie in Müll: Marketing 1022

This webpage shows some of these releases
http://www.super-8-hobby.de/rezent-d.htm

Jörg
P.S.: I haven't found any clue on the web that any "pink panther"-cartoon was released in CS at all. Nevertheless some of the "screenshots" found on the web are in approx. 1.85:1, e.g. the "screenshots" for "Bully for Pink":
http://dfe.goldenagecartoons.com/filmography/1964-65.htm
P.P.S.: For some strange reasons most of the German soundtracks feature several "off" comments in rhymes. Hence there's a lot of speech even though the original series are more or less completely speech-less.

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2007 05:09 PM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jörg,

the german releases don´t have the german TV soundtrack.
They have the original soundtrack without speaker in the background.

Explanation: In the german-speaking countries the cartoons are shown on T.V. with a speaker in background, who accompanies the situations with suitable poems. I love this german versions much more.

a marketing-film in pink box !!!!!!

-

Andreas

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2007 06:04 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember correctly, wasn't there a laugh-track on most of the Pink Panther cartoons? I seem to remember this from the cinemas, but I'm not sure if it was just the ones on T.V.

James.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 08, 2007 06:29 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What depathe-freleng (the company that released these cartoons)
did, was release to theaters the cartoons that they would produce for "Pink Panther show" on Network TV. While the Pink Panther cartoons were made before the TV show, the later ones made for TV, were released for theaters as well, thereby in-
-creasing thier profit margin. Its funny, the very thing that killed the quality levels as well as the eventual end of theatrical cartoons, also made a slight revival of them in the
70's. The studios noticed that Hanna Barbera were able to make thier TV cartoons on extremely limited budgets, and the other studio's took notice, trimming thier budgets, until there was literally no difference between the theatrical cartoon and the
TV cartoon. Walter lantz (Woody Woodpecker) said the reason why he closed his cartoon studio at the end of 1972, was because it would take 13 years for him to recoup his investment on each cartoon, and so even he had to stop production.

Getting back to the main point, Terrytoons followed the same trend, releasing thier "Hector Heathecoat" cartoons to the movie theaters, as well as thier Deputy Dog cartoons, and since they added laugh tracks to the cartoons, (which Depathe-freleng did for the Panther cartoons), this is why you remember laugh tracks on these cartoons.

By the way, my second favorite Pink Pnther cartoon, is the one when the Pink Panther tries to ride that rebellious horse.

It's interesting to note that Depathe-Freleng put more effort into these, than the Warner Bros cartoons they were also releasing at this same time. For one more year, Frelend did new Warner Bros. cartoons after the first close of the studio in 1963, and you can easily see the difference between the two series. It appears that the Pink Panther cartoons were much more a labor of love.

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 08, 2007 09:40 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only Pink Panther cartoon that I have has turned..... pink! [Big Grin]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Jean-Christophe Deblock
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2007 03:13 PM      Profile for Jean-Christophe Deblock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If someone is interested, I have a Pinky Panther Cartoon for sale. In 16mm. In TOP condition.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC