8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » VP Zoom Lenses

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: VP Zoom Lenses
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 09, 2007 11:57 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have noticed that the zoom lens on my VP acts a little differently than the zoom lens on my cine projectors. When you zoom out to a bigger picture with a cine projector, like the GS1200, the brightness of the picture falls off very rapidly, roughly inversely as the area of the projected picture. This does not seem to be the case with my Panasonic 700 VP, which has a 2X zoom lens. When I zoom out the Panny lens to go from a 16:9 picture about 7 ft wide to a Cinemascope 2.35:1 picture about 9ft wide, the brightness does not seem to drop hardly at all. Very strange - but nice! [Confused]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2007 01:01 PM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,

You're quite right. However, the difference between a 16:9 and 2.35:1 is really quite small in terms of area. 16:9 is equivalent to 1.77:1, so your difference in illuminated area is only 2.35/1.77 = 1.32 or one third as much.

Within the laws of optics, the inverse square law is the one which applies, which means that if you double the width (or height) of the picture equally, the illumination will be a quarter overall. Twice the size of picture = one quarter the brightness; not half, as many people think.

Now, however good your lens might be in transmitting a large amount of light, the ratio still applies, but if you start off with a fast lens, it may give the psychological impression that the picture is much brighter, but I can assure you that this isn't the case in reality. Sorry [Frown]

QED. You can't alter the laws of physics! An interesting observation, though, Paul.

Best,

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC