8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Question For Our US Members

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question For Our US Members
Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2007 08:10 AM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I arranged to have some films sent to my US address while I was over last week. A couple didn't arrive.

I'm guessing they were sent Media Mail.

Assuming that the films don't just "go missing"; what does the USPS do when Media Mail packages aren't delivered? Are they returned to sender?

thanks
Stewart

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 28, 2007 10:12 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If there is a usable return address, they'll send an undeliverable piece of mail back, otherwise there is kind of a Postal Black Hole casually called "The Dead Letter Office" where undeliverable and unreturnable mail goes, usually because the delivery and return addresses are illegible. Eventually the mail is opened and if there is a clue where it belongs they'll try to deliver it.

I probably have a film there myself at the moment (been a month...), and hope that the letter inside with my return address will get it steered back to me.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 28, 2007 01:09 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems that at times, Media Mail can take WEEKS to arrive at its destination... unlike most other postal services it doesn't really have a target delivery date that USPS tries to get it delivered by, it's more of a "whenever we get around to it" kind of thing from what I've seen. So you'll probably get the films *eventually*.

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Jim Carlile
Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2007 03:02 AM      Profile for Jim Carlile   Email Jim Carlile   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The USPS will hold packages at the local post office for several weeks, then they will ship them back to the sender. They should have left a little yellow slip at the door when they attempted delivery; this can be used to redeem the package.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2007 07:24 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim,

Welcome to the Forum.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Mike Nyberg
Junior

- posted June 03, 2007 09:20 PM      Profile for Mike Nyberg   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Nyberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am waiting on some 8mm Magazines to arrive from England...its been five weeks now (purchased through amazon, the seller is nice, so its simply a matter of waiting for the mail...unless it was sent on the Lusitania).

Cheers,
Mike

PS - Media mail can take 4 weeks INSIDE the US - this happens a lot with books coming from the east coast to the west coast in my experience.

--------------------
Visit my 8mm website:
http://home.pacbell.net/mnyberg/super8mm/

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC