8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Flight Of The Phoenix

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Flight Of The Phoenix
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 03, 2007 04:51 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched this film recently "2005 version" thought it was very good, however could not help but to compare it with the original 1965 film that I remember watching at the cinema long long ago, [Roll Eyes] even though its been over 40yrs and with its release onto DVD the film is still very good, and with a superb cast it has not aged, in particular the tension between James Stewart and Hardy Kruger, when attempting to start that large radial engine. Its funny what affects you when you are young after watching that film, I saved up and bought a second hand model Aero engine, built a flat bottom boat, and fixed the engine to it, you had to be quick flicking the prop over, as when the engine lit up you didn't want your finger in the way of that prop, anyway the end result was trying it in a pond, after getting the engine to go, this thing took of across the pond like a rocket [Smile] until it got to the other side "BOOM" bits went everywhere [Eek!] when you are young speed is everything "stopping well whats that" [Wink] its maiden voyage with that aero engine mounted on the top was short indeed, but it was quick.

Have you ever been influenced by the movies??

-

Graham [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 03, 2007 09:59 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find myself mentioning STAR WARS again, but it has influenced me greatly.

Not just STAR WARS of course, "The Wild Bunch" as well. I have studied these films to the frame in some cases, and watched what made them "tick".

But most importantly, the fantasy of it all.

I am a scriptwriter, part time. I have written now, 13 scripts, (I am days away from script 13 being done). I have had 3 scripts stolen in Hollywood, so I know my stuff is good enough to steal, it's good enough to get produced, i just have to get the right reputable person to read them and purchase them. A hard thing to do, to be sure.

The script i'm just finishing is "A Wandering Tale", my first ever SCI-FI script. It's a thinking man's script and I'm very proud of it. There's something about coming up with a whole new world, right out of the brain pan, and hoping to see it on the big screen someday, but just the victory of sitting down and coming up with 140 pages of a brave new world.

That's what STAR WARS did for me. Here was a whole new world to me. Yes, I had seen a number of sci-fi before that, but largely, they just looked and felt artificial. Here was a whole universe of planets that looked grimey and lived in, (you ever notice how "un-lived in" most old 50's and 60's sci-fi moves look?) I could see myself visiting these places.

I have always loved a good story, and scriptwriting takes storytelling and goes beyond that to not only telling a story,
but describing the whole environment so they a director/producer/actor can see it right there with you!!

Love live and Long rule STAR WARS

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC