8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Digital Goldfinger at the Cinema

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Digital Goldfinger at the Cinema
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted August 01, 2007 02:34 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had a fun evening last night when we went to see Goldfinger at the cinema. It was presented in Digital and using the latest Digital projection having only been installed last week, and replaced the old Digital projector which had been in situ for two years and used for 4 films. Old?

I have to say the image quality was astounding to the point where you could see on Sean’s face where each eyebrow hair had been shaven to tidy up his bushy eyebrows. It was a superb presentation and the projector did a grand job as did the restoration team with the master material. All I missed was the flicker effect we see with 35mm on screen, but ill get used to it.

The age group viewing the film was mostly over 40 year olds, and there was a great atmosphere in the cinema as we all chatted about where we last saw the film. Two twin ladies saw it in the first week of release, one chap was addicted to watching his video of the film and I mentioned we had it on Super 8 here for which another lad wanted to come and see it.

It was nice to see a film also where everyone clapped at the end. I had arranged for a visit to the projection room before the film, but so many people were waiting to get tickets we had to postpone that till after the film. We had a tour of the new projector and found films for future screenings were already on its hard drive. In the photo you can see a touch LCD screen where the projectionist can select the running order for a programme. A good evening out and worth every bit of £2.50.
 -

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 02, 2007 03:16 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee
Just curious, would you happen to know how large the projected screen image was, and was Goldfinger a Scope release.

Graham.

Christopher Quinn
Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2007 04:22 AM      Profile for Christopher Quinn   Email Christopher Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Goldfinger was a flat film. The first scope Bond film would be Thunderball, released the next year.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted August 02, 2007 11:56 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham
It was shown in 16:9 at the Cinema we went to, but sorry dont know the size of the screen. However, when I next see the projectionist I will ask or even measure it for you when we go again in a couple of weeks. It certainly however was not small by any means.
Ill update this message as and when for you.
Best wishes.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted August 03, 2007 04:29 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A little spec on the digital projector.
2K DLP Digital Cinema projector
Choices in brightness levels and power levels offer flexibility for a variety of screen sizes in existing theatre infrastructure.
Displayable colors: 35 trillion
WOW!

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2007 03:23 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The size of the screen will be particularly interesting Lee because from what you say it sounds like smaller screens will be able to get away with these older 2K machines meaning they'll be able to purchase them second hand and run them for many years.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2007 06:59 AM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been using one of these machines for about six months, and am able to project a 35ft scope picture.
According to the bumff from Christie this projector can project a picture size up to 50ft.

--------------------
EIKI Ex 6100 xenon machine.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2007 03:50 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They had a 2K DLP for a while at the Odeon Leicester Square. As you can imagine the image quality was rather poor.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 08, 2007 02:25 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee, wondered what cinema it is, and how come they only charged £2.50?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted August 12, 2007 04:05 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Adrian.
Dont know about the rest of the UK but our cinemas nearby charge £2.50 on Tuesdays.
Regards

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted August 14, 2007 03:29 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham, and as agreed I went back to the Cinema today to measure the screen for you where they are showing it. I took my tape measure and although fairly dark I can confirm the screen width is 40 feet wide. Hope this helps.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 14, 2007 04:10 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Lee
40 feet is a good size screen we have a video projector demo coming up in one of the local cinemas soon, just lately I was talking to the people that are putting it on, they seem to feel that video projection is fine for the smaller screen, rather than main stream large screen presenation, they claim that cinemas are blowing the video image up to much, with the result of poor image quality compared with 35mm, so it will be interesting to see what they come up with and how it looks.

Graham.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC