8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Film Condition

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Film Condition
Alex Fox
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2007 01:28 PM      Profile for Alex Fox   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Fox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to open up a dialouge with you Boys and Girls as to what should constitue the term FILM CONDITION when applied to a film when advertised by a dealer or any one selling a film i.e. sound quality may vary throught the film, some scenes to dark,white line running throught the film ( sound track visible on screen) etc., or anything else that one may think off ,or should it be confined to the fact that the film is pliable and not damaged or include the above.hope to see your views Alex.

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 04, 2007 03:33 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Alex!

I think most sellers are fairly relaible. There are quite a few on ebay that may get a box of old films from a dead relative, (how the dead relative delivered them is anybodys guess! HAH!!) and so they have no idea what a projector looks like. (I have seen sellers listing films as "reel to reel TAPES... bloody savages!).

Then there are those that you can kind of tell are trying to pull the wool over your eyes. Most of the time, I've found those are people who through thier very wording of the auction, KNOW film and are trying to pawn off badly faded ect. films on an unsuspecting buyer.

GRRRRR!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 04, 2007 06:24 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alex

Film condition is a tricky one, what someone thinks is really good others might disagree each to there own on this one, in general I only buy films from a reputable dealer, and this is how I look at it.

A+ an exceptionally good print, I would expect very good colour, and sound, with pin sharp definition, Derann disney films as one example.

A....again, good print and sound, I would also expect reasonably good definition , no scratches and no fade.

B....could have some fade, OK sound, and possibly soft definition, although in the past I have recieved prints from Derann from there second hand list, that I would have said were in "A" condition [Smile] .

C/D....Well I dont go there its junk.

In the past when I did sell films {not anymore} I used to insist people view the film first and if they were happy after seeing it then send the money or, if not, just return the film {no problem} the people I have dealt with I have always got on well with and believe its better that they make there own mind, although I will tell people my honest opinion, but insist its up to them in the end. I sold a GS1200 a few years ago the same way told the buyer take it for a few weeks and try it, and if he was happy come back with the money, a few weeks later thats exactly what he did, wither its film or projectors I want people to be 100% happy and not feel disappointed.

Well thats my tuppence worth, Graham. [Smile]

PS started on that two bladed shutter yet? [Wink]

Alex Fox
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2007 01:55 PM      Profile for Alex Fox   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Fox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. to OSI and GRAHAM,Thank you for taking the time to give me your opinion on what you considered Film Condition to mean,I was interested to find out what others thought this term should mean.Graham, I have not given much thought to the shutter blade modification as yet not to sure that I could get the timing right. Alex

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC