8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Most Prophetic film? (Your favorite)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Most Prophetic film? (Your favorite)
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 26, 2007 01:18 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, were not talking religious films here. Were talking films that if you look at life today, you are astounded that the film had things so right.

My pick is "Network" (1976) about how a network, (in last place in the ratings) decides to fire thier longtime news anchor, (Peter Finch). Since his job was all he had going for him, he decides to kill himself on his last newscast.

The networks ratings soar to the top and they decide to keep the truly insane man on the airwaves as a "mad prophet". At the end of the movie, when the mad prophets ratings start to go down, they choose to kill him on live TV.

I have never seen a film with such incredibly good writing as this film. The shows that UBS starts to boost ratings are right out of todays TV. The news media dismissed this film when it came out saying that it was outragous. Now, network TV is exactly this.

I would love to quote the whole speech that Peter Finches character says, but I'll let you check this film out. it truly is, in opinion, (writing wise) he best film of the 70's, as well as my prophetic film pick.

"Im as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore"!

(famous quote from the film)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC