8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Elmer, we hardly knew ye!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmer, we hardly knew ye!
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 02, 2007 11:21 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, Halloween night we took our little Pirate around to visit various friends (both his and ours). At one house our friend's daughter (10 years old) told me this joke:

Q: What's a "twip"?
A: What a "wabbit" takes on a "twain".

I said "Oh!, Elmer Fudd!" and was rewarded by a blank stare. I said "You know: the hunter in Bugs Bunny cartoons" (-same stare!)

Next house: 15 year old girl realized who I was talking about, but only after a long introduction.

I'm not comfortable with the idea that there are kids out there who think World War 1 and 2 are video games and that the English Channel is 24 hours a day of Monty Python on Cable TV, but not knowing who Elmer Fudd is??!!!!

What hope for Western Culture?!

(It's outwageous!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2007 12:23 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I am torn between just being perpetually outraged at the collapse of any kind of collective memory in the general population these days, and just 'letting it go' as they say in the States.

In the Western world we have more ways of instant information than anyone else in the history of mankind, and yet the level of ignorance is rising so fast you just don't know what will be 'safe' to consider the Lowest Common Denominator when you wake up in the morning.

I work in TV. News and Intelligence don't go together anymore.
Print is heading the same way. I know I am preaching to the choir to some extent.

Elmer Fudd...Heck, they don't remember the Beatles anymore, except for the Vegas show. The 70es are the 'new oldies.'

So many young acts looove to talk about the 'influence of the music of the sixties'; just how many songs have they ever heard and remembered? How about the late 40es/early 50es when so much of the foundation was laid for modern rock? How about the great songwriters of the 30es/40es, and the incredible influence they had? How about Ragtime and early Jazz?

So many silent films are being lost on two fronts:

The lack of money to get them all preserved before they disintegrate, and also:

The complete lack of interest of most of the population.
When you have people for whom black-and-white is a shortcoming in itself, whether a film has sound is the least of the problem.

With knowledge of history comes knowledge of self.
With knowledge of self comes confidence.
With confidence comes a willingness to explore.
With exploration comes knowledge of history.

And that is all I can do on a few drinks tonight; I hope some of this makes some sense. [Roll Eyes]

Best,
Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 03, 2007 06:20 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago when "Titanic" was all the rage, a grown woman my wife worked with said "Can you imagine if something like that really happened?".

The "Fudd issue" is mostly tongue in cheek to me. If anything I feel bad for these kids that instead of these great cartoons they have the cheap trash that's on TV today.

The differences are obvious. The classic cartoons were meant to be shown theatrically along with feature films, so not only did they have to be big screen quality, but they had to appeal to a general audience while not being age inappropriate even to little ones. This means as you grow up, they tend to keep up with you. The cartoons on TV these days are usually cheap CGI and segmented to fit specific age ranges. This not only means they outgrow them, but as a result of my five year old seeing a teen show, we had to stop him from saying "Oh, crap!" in Kindergarten. (No smily face that day...)

Mel Blanc, we need you now!

--------------------

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2007 08:34 AM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dont despair fellow members of this once intelligent planet.Problems of lack of knowledge are compounded this side of the pond by too many who cannot read or write properly.
Elmer-you 'aint got a chance mate,but give em a computer game and they are masters of that wobbly pastime [Confused]

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 03, 2007 10:42 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are bringing up major points. Though only 42, I am amazed at just how quickly our human condition is rapidly falling apart. my wife and I have a ten year plan. We already own our house in town here, but we plan on moving into the mountians, away from society as a whole, and only coming into town when needed, (shopping, ect.)

I really never saw myself as a pessemist, but I AM a realist. We really are (with all sincerity) only a generation away from complete society collapse. I would rather watch it collapse from a distance. this is because I honetly believe that things have progressed to the point where it really can't be turned around. Sure, people could become seriously concerned and reach out to those around them, but society in general would rather huddle in front of thier SONY trinitron, hoping that the outside world will just leave them alone, hoping that it will just go away, and meanwhile, the chaos moves ever closer.

I see the mannerisms of this generation, (late teens having babies now), and they are near nil! You cannot pass on what you have not valued and inculcated into your own world view.
Granted, there are still some good kids coming out these days, but what kept the shrill shreiking hell from approaching was that the "bad eggs" were few in number. Now, the bad eggs far out-number the good kids. I really do fear the near future, not for myself, (for, I see it coming), but for most, it will catch them completely unaware.

This post could go on much longer, but I'll just end it by saying, just watch over the next six months, as the already sagging housing market, (speaking of america) gets incredibly bad, quadrupiling foreclosures and the families of this nation who had no real savings to speak of already, going completely belly up!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 03, 2007 11:40 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeeze Guys!,

-all I meant to say is how sad it is a little girl never heard of Elmer J. Fudd, not foretell the coming apocalypse!

Sometime more than two thousand years ago, a Greek Philosopher bemoaned the upcoming generation and wrote that based on what we saw he feared for the future of society. (I don’t remember which: I was an Engineering Major, after all!) So you see Osi, you are now one with the ancients!

Now is just a moment. Tomorrow may be better or worse, but it will surely be different whether the cartoons are good or not.

The two girls in question are by the way actually quite smart and nice kids too. They just need to watch a better class of cartoons (I can and do help there, by the way.) The older one baby-sits for us and the younger one will in a few years too.

I'm betting in a lot of cases that if they asked me about things that they really like, I might get to look just as ignorant in their eyes too! (-classic generation gap!)

(There seems to be an immense herd of twenty year old pop stars with names like Brittany/Tiffany/Destiny/Dysentery which I can't tell one from another!)

[ November 03, 2007, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 03, 2007 06:01 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a deep studier of history. What we don't learn from, we are destined to repeat. We already hear people trying to say that the holucaust didn't happen, and really believing it!

But then those who know history, are not as destined to repeat it and have a leg up on those who will be wandering around saying "Wha happen?"

and such a tragedy to not have a thorough knowledge of the Elmer!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 03, 2007 07:16 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately many to most people don't learn, and do repeat, and history just makes for interesting reading centuries later.

I think if people could live maybe 4 or 500 years, they'd get to live through enough history to begin to understand it's lessons, and maybe become a little wiser.

-as it stands, less than 100 years just doesn't seem to be enough!

Of course this gets back to the collective memory of society that Claus was talking about before and how we can tap into the wisdom (and even the foolishness) of our ancestors without having lived their lives, but it takes a certain wisdom just to listen as well.

Big ideas in a thread started because of a silly man who not only couldn't catch a rabbit, he couldn't even pronounce the word!

--------------------

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2007 10:32 AM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Day After Tommorrow-its already here.

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 04, 2007 01:45 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve
I liked the wabbit joke, [Smile]

Talking about the lack of knowledge these days, I went to the supermarket a gave $5 for something that cost $2.50 the young check out, a schoolkid just learning, well he was trying to count out my change and was having trouble, [Roll Eyes] so I said "right" grabbed his hand took the change out of it, and said this is how you do it, its $2.50 right, 50 cents makes it $3 and $2 makes $5, change $2.50 got it, [Smile] he looked a bit surprised I think I came across like a school teacher, there is another one at the cinema who really surprised me, when I showed him an old photo of the liner "Queen Mary" I said guess the name of the ship, he replied "Titanic" I hit him with the newspaper and said try again, he replied that "Titanic" was the only movie he has seen with a boat in it, [Roll Eyes] I gave up at that point, although my school education was short, I did at least learn something "myby the flying duster [Eek!] from the teacher bouncing of your skull was the incentive".

Graham. [Smile]
'

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC