8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The Golden Compass

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Golden Compass
Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2007 02:55 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this last night, and I enjoyed it, but there are one or two things that are bugging me about this film. I've not read the book, so I can't say what's missing, but some of the editing is a little odd. When we first see "The Magistareum" we see a shot of Albert Finney as one of the top men, but he doesn't even get a line in the film, why hire an actor like Finney, and not even a line. The ending seems a bit wrong as well, I won't spoil it, but I'm sure there was a reference to a different ending in the trailer, as there are scenes in the trailer that are just not in the finished film. I heard a rumour a few months back that the running time would be around 2 1/2 hours, but at 113 minutes, is this where the other ending has gone. Perhaps they are saving this segment for the start of the next film in the series. The special effects are excellent, but it's Dakota Blue Richards who plays Lyra the main character who steals the show, and to think this is her first acting job. Well worth a watch, in my humble opinion.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2007 03:15 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi-Barry,I enjoyed it too the other night,yes the editing is very strange indeed,I believe the second part of the trilogy was filmed at the same time so we should see Albert Finney in part two hopefully next year,the ending was very abrupt too I think they just wanted to keep the film under 2 hours to make it more kiddie friendy,my six year old boy was very fidgety by the end!!!

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2007 01:58 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that for once the CGI was just right. I get so fed up with the over use of this medium in modern films. So realistic.

It was overall a good watch and would suit a s8 release. My difficulty is getting my head around the mix of ancient and modern. It just doesnt work for me

--------------------
Tony

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 10, 2007 02:11 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can give a different perspective, so to speak. I saw it as well, (The funny thing is, as a Christian, I automatically want to see anything main stream Christians say "no" to!)

Though the full series of books leads up to the "Kill God" thing, (which is absurb, of course), the story itself is for the most part devoid an anything that would offend at all. It's quite nice and quite frankly, it's an entertainment, for petes sake!

and by the way, 97 percent of everything that comes out of Hollywood is ani-god, so what's the big beef? It's a good film.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 10, 2007 05:29 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard that the potentially offensive stuff from the book was pretty thoroughly excluded from the movie.

It's just modern Hollywood: make it just slightly controversial so some group will react to it and provide free publicity, but don't take it so far they won't come back for the sequel or buy the DVD.

I object to the premise of the books, but wish the studios either had the spine to either reject it outright or lay it all on the line.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2007 08:00 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree to disagree and I am not criticizing the statement about "kill god "thing because it is not far from being absurd. Humanity has killed God since the beginning of time, and continues to this very day. All in God's image.

There were 8 people killed by a deranged 19 year old young adult last week out in Omaha Nebraska, USA. People shopping at the Mall probably all for Christmas and never to return home. How absurd is it that people can walk out of their home and to simply go to the Mall and become target practice?

Not NYC, but in lovely Omaha Nebraska.

The kid left a note about about his distraught life
and the value in killing others for glory and notoriety.

So let the killing begin on the screen, just as long as your own family member does not get slashed at home.

Let alone that "the kid next door" loses faith in their heart, or if their mind flips and goes nuts.

When our niece was young she was a Wizard of Oz buff, and would glorify running away from home.
This made my sister crazy and she needed to have a sit-down with her daughter.

Films and books are impressionable. They have the power to influence young minds and hearts.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 10, 2007 08:57 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting Michael,

Isn't the moral of "the Wizard of Oz" that there is no place like home?

Since I haven't seen "Compass", I won't put it in this category, but I keep an eye on the awful crap we allow the media to pump into our homes and then into our kids' heads and I'm a little scared for them, and us.

Modern media is like fast food: make a quick buck with shoddy ingredients and workmanship, don't worry if the consumer gets sick from it. If you look at the great stories from cultures throughout history, they have strong human values: love, kindness, truth, loyalty, courage, principal, maybe a sense that rightness should triumph in the end. These were told by great storytellers and have become timeless.

Today's media, especially what the electronic babysitter is channeling into our kids' brains and souls contains only the sugar and fat of storytelling: sex and violence. These are everything needed to get the hormones pumping and hold the attention span through the next commercial. Nothing more is required.

Nothing is gained, nothing is learned....well at least nothing worth knowing.

God help us!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 11, 2007 01:33 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The film has not been released here yet, although I have been running the trailer a lot, and it looks good, don't know much about this film or the story but it is expected to do well and is due out soon as a mid-summer release.

Regarding movies that influence young minds, I remember years ago I took my son who was about 8yrs old at the time to the re-release of "Lawrence of Arabia" I was pushing my luck to expect him to understand or even to sit through it, [Roll Eyes] well he really surprised me, he did, and to this day he still remembers all the details, I think at times as adults we underestimate what kids can take in, and unfortunately the likes of Hollywood and TV these days is made to be as simple and easy to follow, without much thinking required, in the misguided belief that this is all they will take in.

Graham.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 11, 2007 11:08 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Update : The film isn't doing as well as they had hoped. While it did have a decent opening weekend, (26 million), it is far below what they were hoping for, (being that the film cost 160 or 180 million, (my gawd! and my film I want to shoot has a 20,000 dollar budget!!!) and they are hoping that it will pick up a lot more business over the holidays. But usually, if it has a less than stellar opening weekend, it will tend to make less than expected ...

... but then, there's always the extra dollars made upon DVD release, so a lot of it will be made up.

The big problem for big budget films is that, unless it has a lot of marquee value, (suchg as the upcoming Indiana Jones 4, which will obviously be a big hit, hands down!), there's no real promise that it will even make back it's negative costs ect.

That's why low budget film, (such as the feature that I'm trying to build support for over here in the states) should be the way the big studio's should go. Yes, thewy don't have the benefit of some big star in them ...

But the low budget films have the clout of young lean actors that are HUNGRY to get thier talent on the big screen without the ego (and audacity) to ask 20 million dollars for just appearing on the damned set! You don't have the financial
worry.

Hell, if you have a , lets say meager budget, (in the big studio's) of, say, 20 million (which is small for the big studios!), and it becomes a decent hit, making even twice what it cost to make, (advertising and all), it is a much bigger hit than the lavish big budget films you see bombing all the time.

That, and you have the problem of our Burger King culture, (with the attention span of a lima bean), that literally demand something new every weekend at the box office!

We film collectors must be a reel curiosity to this generation, watching our cherished prints over and over again!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 21, 2007 02:12 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well....I have just spent part of today putting together a new Scope print of this film and will give my total un-biased [Roll Eyes] view of it next week [Wink]

Talking about films, has anyone watched "Amazing Grace", or "Atonement", both are top notch British films [Big Grin] and have done very well out here .

Graham. [Smile]

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 21, 2007 05:36 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi. I’m a Baptist..OOPS, I mentioned the Christian thing and bet I get shot at dawn for mentioning on this forum. Seriously though, I agree Osi. It’s better to take it all in as without we can all become a bit monophonic don’t you think? This film is on my list of 4 to see over Christmas so we hope to squeeze them all in.

Amazing Grace is the finest film I think I have ever seen with so much power it left us all in tears.

Have a happy Chrimbo and a healthy new year to one and all.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 21, 2007 11:08 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee

Does that me you get wet every Sunday [Big Grin]

--------------------
Tony

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC