8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Brief Encounter in the Cinema

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Brief Encounter in the Cinema
Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2008 06:23 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was delighted to see that my local cinema has a series of matinee performances of classic movies coming up. On the 25th of Feb they are showing Brief Encounter and I am taking the afternoon off work so that I can go.

I want to support this venture and I got to wondering whether this is something other cinemas are doing, and if so how successful are they?

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

|  IP: Logged

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2008 07:47 AM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike. Yes this film has been shown here in Milton Keynes & Bedford along with many other clissic films. I think there is a season going on the rounds. They were shown as a digital projection and the films on both centres that I could see are shown the same time. Is there a acces link to the cinema to do this? I seem to remember reading about cinema's having direct access to download films, or I might be wrong.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 29, 2008 08:22 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike,
I have a print of 'Brief Encounter' on super 8. It is pretty good quality, except for a couple of washed out scenes on the third reel. Never fails to get my wife crying! (She is a big Trevor Howard fan)

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2008 12:26 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Colin, that's interesting. I thought it might be something the local cinema was doing off its own back but from what you say it sounds as though it's a special programme of calssics that's doing the rounds.

I don't know whether or not it's digital projection, I shall be peering back at the projection box though during the show [Wink] . One of the nice things about seeing films in this particullar cinema is that the projection booth doubles as a lighting control room for when the cinema is used as a theatre, consequently there is a big glass panel instead of a little projection port and you can see the projector in operation! [Big Grin]

Paul, I remember reading your review on Brief Encounter, I have it on DVD and it often comes out on wet Sunday afternoons, I love the lighting and the excellant use of the Rachmaninov Piano Concerto, also the great atmosphere of the railway stations with the Steam Locos going through the sation. It really was a beautifully made film.

I would love to find a good super 8 copy of this film, in its original packaging of course ( [Roll Eyes] ) .

Mike [Cool]

ps. Colin, I think you're right, I read somewhere (maybe on here) that cinemas showing films digitally downloaded them from somewhere...

--------------------

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2008 02:22 PM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike. Is this showing at the Dome cinema? Having been down to worthing on many occations due to the wife's dad living in Sompting. The Dome is often a great place to watch films. Now it has been restored I was wondering if you get to see the films there? There has been a number of digital showings here on many old classics and must admit the quality is really good. Let us know how the show was and if you can get any more info on the projection that would be grat.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 30, 2008 02:25 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a link to Carnforth Station in the North of England where Brief Encounter' was filmed. A lot of great background info here on the sets and locations used in the film. Apparently it is a mecca for enthusiasts of the film :

http://home.clara.net/gw0hqd/brief/index.htm

-

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2008 03:47 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Colin, it's great to know you are familiar with the Dome. We are very lucky in Worthing to have such an historic cinema and luckier stilll that there is such an enthusiastic society that have ensured its survival and restoration. It really is a beautiful building, originally built in 1911 and then given a major facelift in 1921, it remains today in very much its 1921 state and is again showing a full programme.

Sadly, it isn't the "Dome" but the "Ritz" cinema attached to the Connaught theatre that is showing the Classic Matinee season. That in itself is a lucky survivor though, having been used for many years as a warehouse it is now back in service as a decent cinema.

Paul, that's a great poster and I would certainly make the pilgrimage to Carnforth Station if I were up that way.

Mike

--------------------

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2008 05:57 AM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all. Yes Mike worthing has some really nice places to watch films and theatre. We usually attend the airshow at Shoreham. Last year a Hurricane crashed on last years show so a sad day on that event. Going on to Carnforth and Breif Encounter. Yes we have friends who live near there. The preservation society have done a great job in sprucing up the station. They have restored the famous clock used in the film. The teashop on the platform looks just like the film and you would expect Trevour to walk in any time. They serve great food and drinks. The station has a very good museum on the film and it's past. You can look up there website for mor info. They have sometimes guest steam trains running through the station. I understand that the tearoom was not infact used on locatoin but was in the studio. Do visit if in the area it's well worth to effort.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2008 06:39 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Colin, how strange, I too was at the air show when the plane went down, I remember the odd silence and the disbelief as the crowd tried to make out whether or not it was a tragic accident or a part of the show…

It was a very strange feeling when the MC came over the Tanoy and announced that it had been a fatal crash but the show would continue, as that was what the pilot would have wanted. [Frown]

Getting back to Brief Encounter for a moment, I found this excellent website somebody has created in homage to the film; http://home.clara.net/gw0hqd/brief/ it’s worth checking out.

Mike [Cool]

--------------------

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2008 02:41 PM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats great Mike. Many Thanks for the website. Everytime we go up to our friends we try to visit Carnforth and the station it's full of enthusiasts who have the time to talk.. I love this film and I do not know why it's just great film directing. Davis Lean is one of my favourite directors. I have just transfered a South Bank Show on his life from 1985 and it's a good insight to his way of life has a director. Not anoither one willl be like him. Editing his epics I know he did anlong Anne Coates and he was right in saying the editing was the make or break of a film.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC