8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Arthur C. Clarke.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Arthur C. Clarke.
Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2008 10:24 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure that like many film collectors I'm not alone in having many "behind-the-scenes" or "making-of" type books regarding film.

Last night I was re-reading one called "2001 filming the future"; a fantastic insight into Kubrick's film by Piers Bizony (and one of my favourite movies).

I must admit that upon previous readings, I somehow had pretty much skipped over Arthur C. Clarke's introduction and the first couple of chapters...maybe I was just in a hurry to get to the cool pictures or stories of production strife toward the middle...I don't know.

Anyway, last night (knowing I had to be up early in the morning) I sat in bed and read it captivated from the beginning until I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer.

Seriously, I was nearly late for work today having sat awake 'till about 2 o'clock this morning, loving the early chapters about the development of this wonderful movie; never really appreciating how heavily involved Arthur C. Clarke was in this process.

I was so looking forward to sending myself off to dreamland tonight with more...

Sadly, before heading off to bed tonight I have just logged onto the internet to check my email, only to be dismayed to see that Dr. Arthur C. Clarke has passed away in the last few hours.

Rest in Peace Dr. Clarke.

Or, feel free to return as a Star Child...that would be cool too.

[ March 19, 2008, 06:37 AM: Message edited by: Rob Young. ]

|  IP: Logged

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2008 08:33 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have that book too. Given what you've said Rob I'll have to re-read it now. I also have a book by Gary Lockwood titled '2001 Memories' (or something like that) but little mention of the great Arther C. Clarke in this one. I did however purtchase it off Mr. Lockwood personally and get him to sign it. It was only a few years later I realized he'd already had Keir Dullea sign it too. Shame he didn't get the aforementioned Mr. Clarke to stick his mark in there too!

2001 demands a screening soon then. Shall we schedule a forum film show where as many of us as possible screen this Super 8 gem at the same time?

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC