8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Vista Trash

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vista Trash
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 01, 2008 11:59 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, here i go, made the mistake of getting Vista, now i cant go on-line, im using a loand pc using XP. Has anyone else got Vista???
Apparantly Vista has a known problem of not releasing the IP address and locks out accsess to the net so i have to have a clean install.
B Gates and his s****y Microsoft should be wiped off the face of the earth, the biggest money making racket ever produced was windows. Every new OS has incompatibilties. Rip off, no wonder people use copies

[ July 04, 2018, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: Douglas Meltzer ]

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 01, 2008 01:02 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is why I continue using XP Pro - heavily customized and stripped clean of all unnecessary bloat thanks to a nifty application called XPLite.

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 01, 2008 03:08 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use Vista. I bought an Acer Aspire 5100 which was running XP but was Vista capable. PC World installed my Vista Home premium.

It's very important to buy printers, scanners (and software) which is Vista compatible.

Often, up-date Vista downloads from various companies for their XP products don't always work. It's best to buy Vista items from the start.

--------------------
Maurice

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2008 04:50 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi Tom, sorry to see your frustration...I can relate. I've been running Vista Home Premium for a while now, and it took a lot of updates and such (new printer too) to get it to where I now feel comfortable with it. I still run XP on my old PC, but the Vista seems fine once (if) you get it going right....good luck! [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 02, 2008 01:01 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Good old Mac OSX. Doesnt have all these problems and is not overbloated with things you dont need.

Hope you get it sorted. Just might be worth trying with the built in firewall disabled to see if the problem is there. Also if you have any software such as McCaffee or Norton installed its worth checking if they have a firewall and if so disable them to see if you then get access to the web. If you can then it's time to see what ports etc they are blocking.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2008 03:36 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All these remedies are very well and fine, but people shouldn't have to go through all this - IMHO.

As I use my PC for business as well as personal, I have stuck with Windows XP Professional - (no probs) - especially as I have heard about the shortcomings with Vista.

Not wanting to burst your bubble, Kevin, but Bill Gates now owns 40% of Apple Mac, so it probably won't be long before that system is plagued with viruses and all the other crap too. Just a "heads up" advance warning; but I expect you knew that anyway.

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 02, 2008 06:33 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, Your not bursting my Bubble because this is looks like it's no longer true.
During the mid 90's Bill Gates did buy some non voting shares due to apple needing to raise 150 billion $ and because of the Lawsuit between Apple and MS. The main share holders are funding houses in the US.
From a little research on the web I now see that these shares were eventually sold and it looks like Gates has noting to do with them.
Thank god for that is all I can say [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2008 07:45 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if that's true, let's hope it stays that way!

Quite honestly, we have considered swapping over to Mac many times, but our professional IT engineer and advisor doesn't recommend it - yet. This is because all our Clients are running Microsoft, and it makes transfer of information, (reports, charts, spreadsheets, drawings, etc.) extremely difficult - so we are told.

Apparently, this will change in the fullness of time, and compatibility will be much easier, but when this will be, is anybody's guess.

BTW, have an enjoyable Bank Holiday, Kev.

--------------------
Dave.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 02, 2008 11:32 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, If you are using MS Office on your PC and you clients likewise then there is complete compatibility with the Mac version of MS Office 2008. We run both cross platform where I work with no problems at all. There is no truth in that comment which a lot of people use as they don't like to admit that they don't understand Mac's. I'm the IT support where I work so can say this with some authority. We have a staff of about 50 with a split of 75% Mac 25% PC. When I started here about 5 years a go the numbers were reversed. I spent far more time sorting PC's with XP than I now do and have time to do other more needy jobs thanks to the Mac OS.

Have a good break too, Kev.

--------------------

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2008 12:26 PM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev; point taken.

Though I myself, as well as other members of my firm, am not particularly computer literate and have to rely on the advice of others, what about installed packages such as "Autocad" and the like?

This is the sort of thing we are constantly coming up against, with such things as a vast number of electrical drawings archived, etc. etc.

Just thought I'd mention it. Maybe others on the Forum have some thoughts too.

Best,

--------------------
Dave.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 13, 2008 07:42 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Embarrassed] Thought i'd best get back on my saga with vista, after being told by my internet supplier,virgin, who told me i needed a clean install of Vista, I passed the pc back to my mate who built it for me,(and is 1st class on pc builds), he checked it ands its turned out to be a fault on the new mother board. Put in a network card to by-pass the boards build in unit and it works so a new board is on its way under warranty.
Still, i still think Vista's crap [Big Grin] I shall be putting XP on the HD and having both.
Thanks for reading, see you on the next instalment.
Until my PC's back i cant do my e-mails.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC