8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » What a Sad Sad End

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What a Sad Sad End
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 16, 2008 04:49 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The internet is a great place to find things well tonight I looked up an old ship I travelled round the world in the SS Australis, and was shocked at what I found, built as the SS America and launched in 1939, she was also to see service in the Pacific as a troop ship.
I first saw her as an immigrant travelling on my own under the NZ assisted passage scheme in 1973, seeing this large ship at Southampton was an amazing sight and for many people she was taking them and there families to a new life in Australia and NZ. It was an emotional farewell my father came to see me off, when I arrived here I stayed in the YMCA. I still remember pulling out of my pocket $10 thats all I had to my name. I have fond memories of that ship and the fun times on that long journey out, here are a few photos.
 -
The official Chandris lines photo
 -
I took this one in very rough weather lasted three days she rolled all over the place hard going for young families my shared cabin was down near the props.
 -
another one I took, there was a small cinema right at the front and it was quite something trying to watch a movie as she went up and down, people would slowly leave feeling sea sick, the entertainment was a lot of fun and remember some of the girls dragging me into there cabin to dress me up for a Vice Versa night there is a photo of that night [Eek!] somewhere but I wont post it.
Well here is a photo I got of the net and I am still churned up about it.
 -
A sad end to once a beautiful ship, she was being towed to be used as a floating hotel and during a storm lost her tow and broke up on the West Coast of the Canary Islands in 1994 only the bow section still remains.

|  IP: Logged

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2008 06:03 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a sad, but inspiring and nostalgic story.

Thank you so much for sharing it with us!

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 16, 2008 08:48 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite a lovely story Graham. I hope your holding together and aging better than the ship.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2008 11:05 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,

A beautiful, moving tribute to the ship and some beautiful, moving memories from you. The last picture is very sad indeed; that she had to go that way.

Thank you for sharing this.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 16, 2008 12:00 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
* sob *

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 16, 2008 02:07 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This thread got me researching and unfortunately the Australis is now in much worse shape than the picture above. the bow section has since collapsed internally and split in two, such that very little remains visible at all.

It's easy to take for granted the power of nature, but the sea and the wind have pretty much dissolved this ship.

If you type in "SS Australis" into Google Earth, it will "fly" you to the wreck, fortunately it's an old image so it's still er... "ship-shape".

It's a great story Graham, thank you for sharing it.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2008 03:12 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same thing is happening to me! [Eek!]

--------------------
Trevor

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 16, 2008 05:49 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why Trevor ...

Are you saying your bottom half is falling to ruin? Say it isn't so!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 16, 2008 09:51 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know how hard it is not to crack a joke here about bottom halves splitting in two right now!? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2008 03:37 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham
That is a very interesting story and as you well know I am interested in all things "ocean liner"
I believe there are many great vessels that ended up being rusting hulks beached somewhere.
was the onboard cinema a 35mm setup?
Pat

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 23, 2008 08:46 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Pat
Its been a long time, did not take much interest in film projectors in those days but I am sure it was 16mm, the cinema was very small and had a huge list on the wall of all the things you were not allowed to do, no drinking, no talking, etc...etc...it went on forever [Roll Eyes] I do remember calling out on more than one occasion...focus to the projectionist after that... sound. [Smile] The "Australis" would call into Auckland about every 3 months, and two years after I arrived here I managed to save up enough money for a trip back on her, in fact spent more time getting there than the time I spent in the UK. The journey out was from Southamton to Las Palmas "Canary Islands" and from there to Cape Town, then across the Indian Ocean to Fremantle, Melbourne, Sydney and then Auckland. For her return journey it was Auckland up to Suva in Fiji and then the long bit across the Pacific which took about 11 days in itself to Acapulco, then through the Panama Canal, watching the Australis manoeuvre through the locks and sail through the canal was an amazing sight.

We stopped at Balboa a "dangerous place in those days" then onto Fort Lauderdale, headed north past New York across the Atlantic to Rotterdam then Southhamton where she would leave once again to travel around the world. To give an idea of costs in those days if my memory serves me well, a ships ticket was $462, air travel one way eg Pan Am which I flew back on was $600, looking back it was a great experience that was never again to be repeated.

Graham.

PS For anyone interested, there is a DVD I would recomend thats has been out for a few years now called "The Liners" a voyage of discovery "Maiden Voyage", plus a bonus episode "Ships Of War" which covers the Lusitania sinking. The DVD is a Rob McAuley production and is a Australian Film Coporation Presentation

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC