8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » DVD LOCK UPS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DVD LOCK UPS
Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2008 12:59 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a real pain in the ass.

I'm sitting in my theater watching a DVD everything is going along well. About an hour or so into the disc, the picture pauses then starts to jump around. Re starting the disc does no good.

I've checked the discs in question and cleaned them, the problem appears to follow the disc, as it happens in several players throughout the house.

If this is what I have to deal with, I might as well return the Panny and stick with super 8.

:-(

[ September 05, 2008, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: Chip Gelmini ]

|  IP: Logged

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted September 05, 2008 01:20 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ODD Chip you can get the odd layer change pause briefly and even the odd few secs stutter, but usually an issue like you suggest is down to a player, or odd disc, its nothing to do with the panny.
Best Mark.

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2008 08:30 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Mark

Thanks for the reply and yes you are correct it's not the Panny. What I meant by that remark was how frustrating this is. I now have a new thought that it could be the player, recently added to the setup.

I'm no dvd technician, but I knew these disc played fine upstairs before they went into the newer player. Now they jump around no matter where I play them.

I understand that, even if a movie is under two hours, if the disc has supplements that could easily top another hour, then the disc is dual layered and has the change required.

And yes it should be a momentary pause then continue on without problems.

My guess is that a new player is damaging the discs played. So I am going to exchange it on a safe precaution. And the discs can be easily replaced as popular titles.

Thank you for your encouraging words. With all this frustration, you have no idea how much that meant to me. And you probably thought you merely typed a reply in this post!

Hi-five Mark Todd!!!!!!!

Chip G

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2008 12:58 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chip, I like your idea of replacing the machine, although a player can't damage a disc unless the optical head physically crashes into the disc surface, which will leave a visible scratch. Of course, any single-point bulb (hmmm, I can think of a few good halogen options there ;-) ) will reveal surface flaws quite handily.

It's too bad that price competition has put these optical systems to a "barely passable" mode. The horror stories keep multiplying, and my own experience is that every DVD player won't play something, even with discs that are "in spec."

Are we really ready for Blu-Ray? Really?

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2008 03:55 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All DVD players can do this on different discs. Don't worry about it and just swap the two players round you have in the house. Most of us end up with multiple players simply because different makes have different foibles.

Alternatively just stick a Super 8 print on, sit back and relax!

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2008 10:15 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over the weekend I did replace and reinstall the player. I haven't had time to try it out yet for a complete screening. So right now I don't know if I caught it as a defective player.

I also suspect the bad player might have warmed up the disc being played. When it hit the layer change the excessive heat caused playback problems. I also noticed while looking at the disc through a ceiling light, the title of the disc was inscribed into the disc it's self during the mastering. The title to the movie was lighter based, compared to the other parts of the disc. I suspect the layer change to be near the outer diameter where the titling was. So the player could have reacted to this.

The main reason I suspect heat a factor, is because when this first happened, I immediately tried the disc in another player with poor results. The next day after the disc cooled down (as well as my own temper) I tried it again. Still the same problem, but not as bad because I jumped to the scene in question without playing the first hour and 20 minutes.

In my collection of movie titles, I'm big into the "nonverbal" films, such as Baraka, Koyannisqatsi, Powwaqqatsi, Nacoyqatsi, and others. These films look great on the big screen, and the Panny helps me achieve those goals.

It's just too bad I am having all this trouble. It really destroys a screening when that happens. Kind of like an optical film loosing loop and skipping out. You try and fix it but it only strikes again.

Thanks guys for your comments. I'm only new to using the Panny. I've had DVD in the house for several years now.

* http://www.koyaanisqatsi.org (or use Google)

~Chip~

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 08, 2008 10:30 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've found that just because you had a reliable DVD player from a big name in the business, doesn't mean you'll do well with them in the future.

I had a VERY reliable COBY DVD player that was region free ... I mean, it played everything, the videodiscs I'd make on my computer, you name it!

I bought the exact same player a few years later, and I could tell that the manufacturing (upon opening it) was subpar and the performance was just crappy!

The funny thing, my Phillips/Magnavox DVD player, bought in 1996 (or 97?) still plays brilliantly, but it doesn't play all regions, (still early on back then.)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC