8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Jaw Droppers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jaw Droppers
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 10, 2008 09:25 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over the years there have been many films with astonishing spectacles, scenes that grab you in shear disbelief at what you are watching. With the advent of CGI most modern action/adventure films now fall into this category, with such examples as Jurassic Park coming to mind. But we know its not real, its all done on a computer, so as great as these types of scenes are, they lose some of their impact.
For true jaw dropping films we have to go back to Hollywoods golden age, when what you saw was real. My personal all time jaw dropping favourite is from a musical film, The Great Ziegfeld filmed in 1936. This is actually a pretty awful film, but it is redeemed by one monumental sequence -the 'Pretty Girl is Like a Melody' number. This whole 11 minute scene is filmed around a huge rotating wedding cake, with 150 performers, in one continuous take. The jaw drop occurs right at the end when the camera cranes back and you see the shear scale and enormity of the whole thing, with Virginia Bruce perched at the top looking like she must be 80 feet in the air! This one number cost $220,000 in 1936, more than most complete films did at that time!
Hollywood at its golden peak.

-

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 10, 2008 09:42 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Upon reading your post, a stunt that came to my mind, was thr drop out of a high rise building in the film "Sharkey's Machine" (a
better than average Burt Reynolds action film), in which the bad guy gets blown out the window and just falls and falls, I mean, it's a long fall, and that wasn't CGI, that was an actual stuntman falling that far!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC