8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » ACTOR PAUL NEWMAN DIES

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ACTOR PAUL NEWMAN DIES
Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2008 10:52 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool Hand Luke, Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid, Harry & Son, one of the greatest actors ever.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Newman

|  IP: Logged

peter booth
Master Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2008 10:57 AM      Profile for peter booth   Email peter booth       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool Hand Luke & Butch Cassidy are two that stand out,I also thought that Hud was a great film.
Another movie great passes on,RIP.
Peter.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2008 01:02 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have to agree with you on Hud. Have it on 16mm.
Such a modest guy wasn't he. Raised a shed load of cash for charity as well. [Frown]

--------------------
Tony

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 27, 2008 01:52 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and will continue to, as I'm sure his wife will no doubt carry them on.

I have a print on Super 8 optical sound of "Harry and Son", which was a pet project of His, in which he starred and directed, an under-rated drama.

One of my favorite films that he did was also one of his last films ...

Twilight.

In which he played an aging detective who's made a mess of his life, divorced and now living above the garage of a famous movie star who he does a job for, (delivering a ransom for), and the job turns out to be a bloody mess. It starred good ole Paul, Gene hackman, Susan Sarrandon and James Garner. A very good detective Noir film. Some great dialogue to that film too! If you haven't seen it, see it.

His face was one of those that even guys wish they had. Ruggedly handsome and his features looked better the older he got, (in my personal opinion).

So sad to see him go. I wrote my first screenplay, a western, with him in mind first.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2008 03:03 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the irreplaceables. I saw a piece a while ago where it was mentioned he was basically getting ready to go. He had given his racecar to a friend, among other things.

A great actor, a great humanitarian, and, on top of it, someone who had a long happy marriage in the face of stardom. Truly a life well lived.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 27, 2008 03:32 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Newman was unforgettable in so many films. My personal favourites are The Hustler and The Sting. What a great actor, and even greater person, he was. A true class act, a great humanitarian, he showed the best of America to the World.
Only a few more of the truly great film stars are left now, and will probably all be gone within five or 10 years. Paul joins a distinguished galaxy. There will never be one like him again. Thank God his films will be around forever, to remind future generations of how great Hollywood used to be.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2008 05:12 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also loved 'The Hustler'. A good example of a film which looked better in B/W than if it was made in colour. Newman was excellent in it and that long pool match was fantastically atmospheric.

Graham S

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 27, 2008 08:55 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" and "Cool Hand Luke" would be the films I would remember and watched most. The last one I saw him in at the cinema was "Road To Perdition" an outstanding actor.

Graham.

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2008 09:07 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I reckon the 600ft The Sting digest was one of the best abbreviated offerings ever on super 8mm.

--------------------
Trevor

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2008 10:58 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cars was on TV here last night; ironic. A typical later Newman part as the wise old man. His career was so long as he was one of the few who changed from brooding edgy characters to the elder statesman with a past.

A great actor and I have his spaghetti sauce here in the pantry.

David

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 28, 2008 04:47 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I reiterate "Twilight", which was his second to last starring role, is a must see. he starred in one last feature, "Where the Money Is", not an epic by any standard, but okay.

I really did admire the guy. One of the interesting things about his looks was that He was born "older", you even look at the younger Newman in the 60's, who wasn't afraid to have that early on-set gray hair. Perhaps that was one reason why he seemed to age so slowly.

Let us not forget his oscar winning role as the lawyer in "The Verdict", as well as his great comeback film, "Nobody's Fool".

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2008 06:01 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I LIKED HIM IN THE TOWERING INFERNO.
R.I.P PAUL YOU WILL BE LONG REMEMBERED! [Smile]
PAT

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Kevan Ellis
Junior

- posted September 29, 2008 06:13 PM      Profile for Kevan Ellis   Email Kevan Ellis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being a Canadian
One of my favorites is Slap Shot cause I play old time hockey now and can relate to it. Boy our team this year could use the Hanson Brothers. The Sting, Cool Hand Luke close seconds.
R.I.P Paul
Kevan

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2008 05:51 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first thing I ever saw Paul Newman star in at the cinema was "The Towering Inferno" and I must admit that I do have a real soft spot for this film, although more an ensemble film, I thought his pairing with the other legend Steve MacQueen was inspired, and their scenes together at the end were some of the best moments in the film. In later years his prescence in "The Road to Perdition" saw him in top form once again, and he even provided a voice for the Disney/Pixar "Cars" , and I was wondering if he had done any vocal work for "Cars 2" which is in development now, as the voice track is recorded in advance to these films, I suppose we will just have to wait and see.

There are not many of the true legends of the silver screen left now, and I do wonder if any of the new crop of "Stars" will have the impact of the likes of Paul Newman in 40-50 years time, I doubt it.

R.I.P. Paul, you were a class act.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2008 06:32 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"What we have here is a failure to communicate!" - I don't think so. Paul Newman - The actor and the man - left a body of work and charitable achievements that "communicates" to everyone.

"Another bright star in the heavens".R.I.P.

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC