8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Ebay is funny ...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ebay is funny ...
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 04, 2008 05:27 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can really never tell with ebay ...

21 people watching "Starchaser: Legend of Orin" and no one bids.

Usually that's due to people assuming you'll get desperate and lower the price, (which if it's my item, and this is, I don't lower the price), which I don't do as a general rule.

It is frustrating, and then the things you couldn't give a darn about, sell for a rediculous amount.

It's been talked about on the forum before, but I'm always fascinated by how much stuff sells for. For instance ...

This 35MM print I have listed (once again) is at 99.95. It doesn't sell. If this was a Super 8 print of this very same title, it would probably sell quickly and make a good deal more than 100.00, though it would be in a obviously inferior format.

Funny, huh?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 04, 2008 10:35 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can understand that happening, though. No doubt: 35MM is a photograghically superior format, but Super-8 being what it's designed for means a lot more people out there are going to be able to show prints, so the demand will be greater.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2008 06:15 AM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm prepared to bet that most of those watchers were from this forum. I was certainly following it just out of curiosity.

There are quite a few auctions that I watch just to see if someone is mad enough to pay the insane prices asked. Or, it might be a film I have and I'm curious to see what it sells for.

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2008 12:00 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi-Post this on:

http://www.35mmforum.com/forums/

Just click 'register' in the upper left corner. I'm sure there will be a lot of interest.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 06, 2008 12:27 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My dear Osi....

(based on your title)...this is not funny at all. This is to show how the auction works.

If you put the price high, people are only watching to see what will be going on.

If you put the description without a marketing strategy, .i.e wording, details and PHOTOs than some potential buyers may have seen it but decided not to bid.

So the basic principle of auction is to get the highest possible price. If you start it from $1, there some people may try to get their luck ... and "some" can be 100 people around this ebay world.

And if that happened then these 100 ebayers may start a bidding war to result the highest (= best) price for you.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 06, 2008 10:19 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hear you Winbert,

However, I have found that if I have something that is worth a good deal, and I have started it at a dollar, (or some other extremely low starting bid), it tends to only go up a few dollars and nothing more.

So, I start out with at least a very reasonable bid for the film. (100.00 dollars for a 35MM feature is quite reasonable) I then do as good of a description as I can, which I did, also catching up on ebay's goofs, (as in this time, upon re-listing, it put up the shipping calculator instead of the 45.00 dollar shipping which it was supposed to have, incredibly frustrating!).

But, as I said on the auction this time, at the bottom ...

" I don't do Flea Markets "

In other words, if there are people just waiting for me to lower the price on something that already low, then they'd best look elsewhere, as I'm not into losing money on anything. Now, if I'm selling something for someone else, and they okay dropping the price somewhat, that's a different story.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC