8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Addressing the Nation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Addressing the Nation
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 08, 2008 02:41 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love short British films so am pleased to tell members that the British Film Institute has just issued "Addressing the Nation", volume 1 of two more to be planned. This is the work of the GPO Film Unit and contains 15 films plus a bonus film. The two-disc set is in a smart box with a 76 page illustrated book.

Created in 1933 out of the ashes of the Empire Marketing Board Film Unit, the GPO Film Unit was one of the most remarkable creative institutions that Britain produced.

The films on this set are:-

The Coming of the Dial 1933
Cable Ship 1933
Granton Trawler 1934
John Atkins Saves Up 1934
Air Post 1934
The Glorious Sixth of June 1934
Pett and Pott 1934
6.30 Collection 1934
Weather Forecast 1934
Song of Ceylon 1934
A Colour Box 1935
Coal Face 1935
The King's Stamp 1935
BBC: The Voice of Britain 1935
Sixpenny Telegram 1935

The bonus film is John Grierson's 1935 "On the Fishing Banks of Skye."

As with the British Transport Films' sets the transfers are excellent. We must thank the BFI for allowing collectors to have all these classic titles in their collection for a very reasonable price. My set came from MovieMail for £16.99 post free.

Highly recommended.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC