8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Internet Providers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Internet Providers
Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 09, 2008 01:20 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I've just about had it with AOL. Everything is just so slow even at so called High Speed Broadband. Even worse with the VR version.Some websites just don't work at all. A friend in the US described AOL as being like a virus in itself - I'm beginning to agree.

I would really appreciate some of your recommendations on IPs before I switch.

-Thanks in advance,

-Mike

|  IP: Logged

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2008 01:43 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Consider global peak times. Then try at a different time when the web is not as busy. That can be hard with time changes, especially global. Here in Massachusetts, early mornings are best.

I also have my broadband through the Cell phone provider. It does not eat up any of the minutes plan on my cell phone. But it is cellular based technology, called EV-DO revised A. The best part about it is it covers me wherever the cell phone works. I plug in the USB modem to the laptop, and I can check email at a roadside rest stop say traveling from Massachusetts to Orlando Florida. Verizon offers employer discounts. Check with your employer about it. Savings are significant, and in the end the broadband connection is competitively priced. I pay about $100.00 per month for BOTH...cell phone talk time AND internet connection.

I also purchased a EVDO-A router (google Kyocera KR-1), which makes the house wifi when the need for that is there.

Before I made the switch, I paid $110.00 per month for a private line as dialup service, cell phone, and ISP account.

No regrets even though it sounds quite expensive. I know you're in the UK, but you should be able to find something. I recommend switching. And by the way, you can keep your email service at AOL and it's FREE. Just ask them AFTER you switch ISP. An AOL email address is great for the hackers and spammers. Then change to a private email address for family and friends when you get a new isp.

CG

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2008 05:47 PM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use TalkTalk for my landline provider, and get free landline telephone calls, and also free broadband up to 8MB and 40GB monthly allowance. All this for £20.99.
Their website is:-
www.talktalk.co.uk/products/broadband
To date I have found them to be very good.

--------------------
EIKI Ex 6100 xenon machine.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted October 09, 2008 09:25 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Hugh, thanks for the link, do you still have to pay the bT basic rental charge as well???
Best Mark.
I`m still on £6.99 a month anytime dial up and its pretty good on and off for that. The email occasionally conks though, but I expect the BB does then as well on those.

PS had alook and its with rental, very good, the 18 months tie in is a bit frightening though, but most seem like that.

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2008 07:57 AM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Mark.
No you do not have to pay BT rental charges as you are changed over to the Talk Talk landline service, and you still get to keep your current phone number. This is a saving of approx £10.00 per month.
Hugh.

--------------------
EIKI Ex 6100 xenon machine.

Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2008 05:12 AM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had Be* (bethere.co.uk) installed when I set up my office. I have to say I'm very happy with them and their tech support is very good - you get to talk to Eastern Europeans who actually know what they're talking about! Not to mention I really do get the 22Mbs advertised speed.

I'm using the Pro+ business service, but you can get home packages from £8 per month for 8Mbs up to £18 per month for 20Mbs.

You do need a BT line for this.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC