8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The dollar is doing better!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The dollar is doing better!
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 10, 2008 03:40 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed that the dollar is regaining a little ground on the UK pound.

That's good news to us American collectors and, in the end run, better for the Derann's and CHC's of the world, as it makes these precious prints cost us less, thereby allowing for more purchases!

In fact, I just checked it today (Friday afternoon, October 10th)
and One British pound, is worth One dollar and seventy cents American, and while that doesn't sound like too much of a drop, it's about 35 or 40 cents less than it was a mere few weeks ago!

That means for every pound of Derann or otherwise you buy, (and lets not forget that almost twenty pound charge for shipping), it is 40 cents less per pound, and that certainly adds up, especially if you should chose to buy a, lest say, 300 pound film. just do the math for yourself ... 300 x .40 cents. That really adds up!

I don't think that it will get back down to one pound equaling one American dollar, but this is certainly GREAT news, and will certainly effect my purchases in the near future!

Lets hope that it continues to get better!

[ October 10, 2008, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: Osi Osgood ]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2008 05:20 AM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, I have to rain on your parade!

The cheap films on e-bay USA are now losing their appeal to me.

Although the actual exchange rate is almost inconsequential compared to the shipping and VAT rates [Frown]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 11, 2008 04:54 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hadn't thought about it from your side of the pond, but then you fine chaps in the UK have had it good for a really long time.

I doubt you'd find many an American who would sympathise too much, as we have been suffering under a terrible dollar value for too long. Even if the British pound and the American dollar were to come dead even (which I highly doubt), you still wouldn't know suffering ...

Until the American dollar was worth two pounds, which we know, won't happen.

I noted this morning that it is now down to 1.69 American for every British pound. It is only three cents away from where it was when I returned to collecting Super 8 four years ago and believe me, I will begin to peruse ebayUK listings of Super 8 as they will finally start to become affordable once again.

But, as I said in the first post of this series, this could very well be a great thing for Derann, CHC, Perry's and Independent 8 and such in the near future, for no doubt many other collectors that have done their damndest to continue to buy from Derann and such, will now have much more freedom to do so, and while British Super 8 film companies will never really lose they're UK customers, they may gain even more customers or regain back many American customers that have longed to save even a few dollars on UK product but were unable to do so.

From the Yanks side of things, it's great to see.

In fact, I encourage all my fine yanky friends, start buying again if you had to stop, from Derann, CHC and the like, as I'm sure that they no doubt need a good shot in the arm right now and would further encourage them to release new product.

In some ways, this downward economic turn could be the best thing for new Super 8 in years!

--------------------

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted October 11, 2008 10:06 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don`t count your chickesn until theres been a bit more sqawking Osi.
Best Mark.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2008 02:43 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good thinking Osi. Thanks for looking on the bright side of what is going on at the moment. But I don't think your idea of the dollar and the pound reaching equilibrium is impossible as we're really in a mess over here.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2008 05:04 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hoping for the good old days (during the Second World War!) when there were 4 US dollars to the pound believe it or not! It's where we got our expression "half a dollar" for our "half crown", then two shillings and sixpence (now twelve and a half new pence). How the hell we are ever going to translate that into Euros I have no idea!!
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 15, 2008 04:21 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like I spoke a little too soon. The dollars is on the decline yet again.

Sigh ...

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC