8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Jurassic Park Reality !

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jurassic Park Reality !
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 15, 2008 09:35 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that this topic doesn't have anything to do with film period, but my wife and I (Devin just stared blamkly, what else will a one month old do?), watched a special on TV about that woman scientist who found dinosaur bones that have actual cartilege in them and, apparently, the vestiges of blood cells!

What struck me about this documentary, was not that she found this and it has been completely verified, but how truly aggressive her own colleagues in the study of Dinosaurs have tried to paint her out as some religious quack.

Now, this post has nothing to do with religion, as I wouldn't want to mess with the rules.

Her tissue samples have been verified. Other scientists tried to explain it away by saying that it was merely bacteria and not tissue from a dinosaur, as Dinosaurs, by the long held belief, died out millions of years ago. The lab actually verified a full DNA strand ... from a dinosaur! Talk about Jurassic Park potentially becoming a reality someday! Could we possibly clone an actual dinosaur? WOW!!

What struck me so, was that the opposing side was so viliant against this woman, who is an acredited colleague of thiers, and not some religious person. It;s strange that they won't even allow into thier thinking that perhaps Dinosaurs didn't disappear millions of years ago. Even by the most recent sceintific standard, material other than bone can only exist in any form for so long. Scientists, by the end of the show, were trying to say that the specific environment that the bones were found caused the decomposition to be VERY slow.

... and then there are those dinosaur prints found, that have human footprints in the same mud, fossilized together. But, wait a minute, weren't dinosaurs not supposed to exist? They have been found in different parts of the world.

I will always remember the pictures taken from a japanese fishing boat, of a carcass that they dredged up of a pleliasaur, (aquatic dinosaur), they took pictures from many assorted angles before they dumped it back in, (apparently, it stunk like hell). It wasn't some big fish, it was obviously a pleliasaur.

But then, thery said that the Celeocanth (probably mis-spelled) was a million old extinct fish, and they've found and documented live ones.

I just said all of this, to say, I find it odd that scientists can't even entertain even the potential that Dinosaurs may have disappeared a lot shorter time ago than they have thoerized. Heck, the very study of science is putting theory out there, and it if it's tested, and holds water, than everything is fine.

But most thoeries end up being proven wrong by more facts coming forth. I'm am a part time scientist, (I don't make my living from it, so, part time), and i don't mind being proved wrong, as I would always like to side with the truth.

I've always loved those big beasties, and love the fact that there is the potential that they didn't disappear as long ago as we have always thought.

Perhaps, there are even some still alive, (probably, if any, aquatic dinosaurs.)

Anyway, I thought it might make an interesting post.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 15, 2008 10:01 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually we see Dinosaurs every day, we call them "Birds". The dinosaurs were not cold blooded reptiles, but warm blooded creatures very similar to modern birds. If you look at dinosaur fossils, very often you can say "Looks just like chicken!".

The thing is when whatever cataclysm it was that caused the mass extinction came, the thing to be became small: less food needed to stay alive, easier to find shelter. The mammals of the day were pretty tiny and they did fine, the larger dinousaurs did badly, like an SUV in an oil crisis, but the tiniest made it through and thrived.

I don't think they will ever clone an extinct dinosaur. DNA continuously breaks down even in living creatures and multi million year old samples will be so full of gaps that by the time they patch them all they will really have a modern simulation of what we expect it to be.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Bart Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2008 10:15 AM      Profile for Bart Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Bart Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve is right. Many Palaeontologists divide the larger group up into 'Avian Dinosaurs' (including modern birds) and 'Non-Avian Dinosaurs' (most of the extinct big beasties beloved by so many B-Movie fans).

It seems a bit ominous to me that we are discussing dinosaurs in an 8mm forum. Still just clinging on to life though...

--------------------
www.bluecinetech.co.uk

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 15, 2008 10:32 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah!, but Bart: as I said, the thing to be after the cataclysm (video) is small! That smallness is one of the things I like about 8mm film. It doesn't cost as much (easier to keep fed) and doesn't require a lot of storage space (easier to find shelter).

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 15, 2008 02:42 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve ...

So totally cool that you brought Super 8 into the conversation! Quite inventive.

It's kind of funny, that though the dinosaurs are what started this series of posts, it really is about the inflexibility of modern scientists to accept new and perhaps radical thoughts.

After all, the Dinosaurs potentially not being extinct for millions of years is quite radical, but it's hard to not at least have to postulate that there IS the potential of those grade "B" beasties having existed for far longer than we thought.
I mention the Celeocanth again, which is in fact, a fossilized fish, and yet, they do still exist today, though in few numbers.

Science has always thrived on new info either radically changing or adding a possible exception to the rule.

Credible scientists all, (as a general rule), believed that the earth was flat for the longest time, (though with no proof, just a theory), and of course, the world has been proved to be a sphere. That wasn't really all that long ago, only a number of hundreds of years ago.

So when scientists theorize that Dinosaurs only existed (in thier beastie state) millions of years ago, (due to the theory that rock layers are such and such age, which has always been wildly inaccurate), perhaps at least that theory COULD be wrong or, at least, have exceptions to that theory.

I remember reading about a famous Russian scientist, (I really wish I could remember his name, as it would be better to verify the story), and he believed that the world couldn't accurately be dated to be millions of years old. It should be mentioned that this Russian dude was an athiest.

He invited fellow scientists to go to where a volcano was actively erupting. he invited his colleagues to pick up (gingerly, as the rock was probably not sufficiently cooled), any rock that they desired.

Having done so, he then had them take thier rock sample, and do the assorted tests, (carbon dating, ect), and in all cases, the rock dated at a couple million years old, yet they knew for a fact that the rock was mere days old.

This doesn't mean that the world is young or old (I don't hold to either opinion, quite frankly), but it does show that the age of the earth at millions of years old, is truly inaccurate and can't be trusted...

What burns me up is on ALL science shows (We watch a lot of PBS and history channels), all scientists start with an unproven theory that the earth is millions of years old, and base all they're theory on that, which means that if the beginning theory is inaccurate or at least, has exceptions to the theory, it calls into question all the conclusions drawn.

Whether the earth is young or old isn't the question from a thinking mans opinion; I deal with what I can accurately observe AND test, and only then can I say with absolute honesty that what I "believe" (I use that term loosely) is true.

... and then, as science tends to do, some other fact will come out that takes my well constructed testing out the window too! Hah!

--------------------

Bart Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2008 03:41 PM      Profile for Bart Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Bart Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Credible scientists all, (as a general rule), believed that the earth was flat for the longest time, (though with no proof, just a theory), and of course, the world has been proved to be a sphere. That wasn't really all that long ago, only a number of hundreds of years ago.
Eratosthenes accurately estimated the circumference of the Earth well over 2000 years ago...

The alien race that built the Sphinx knew all of that of course: they were taught it by their pet dinosaurs 15,000 years ago.

--------------------
www.bluecinetech.co.uk

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 15, 2008 03:59 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's true, thousands of years ago some people saw the crescent Moon and believed what they were seeing was the shadow of a spherical Earth.

-besides, what better explanation of the horizon is there than a rounded surface?

Was Eratosthenes the one that used the difference of angles of the shadows of two sticks at a certain distance apart to figure out the dimensions of the Earth?

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 15, 2008 04:19 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pet Dinosaurs! I laughed out loud. Good one Bart!

There were always those who held to a spherical earth than a flat one, but for the longest time, it was just thought that it was flat.

Of course, that tripe was proved wrong!

... by the pet dinosaur! (I'm still having fun with that!, thanks, I needed a good laugh, it's been a draining day.)

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC