8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Do Your Film Gauges Determine Your Buying Patterns?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do Your Film Gauges Determine Your Buying Patterns?
Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2008 12:27 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am curious, for those of you who have, say, both Super-8 and 16mm, do you make decisions based on the format or just on what is available or what you are after, film-wise?

With Super-8, I started buying features like "King Kong" just before the market went down in the late 70es. Now that I have both S-8 and 16mm, I find that I tend to go with feature films in 16 while picking out silent or early sound films in S-8 and R-8 (last buy was 'The Mystery of the Mary Celeste'.)

I am sure the technology plays a role: especially since I got the Eiki Xenon, I am more aware of the lesser light output of the Elmo 1200, and this makes me look more to the 16mm end of things, in terms of features.
Now, if I had a Xenon Super-8 machine, I am sure I would be looking at quite a few complete titles in Super-8, Scope and all, but at the moment that is not the case.

So how does it work for you? Do you make conscious decisions regarding a S-8 print of a film vs. a 16mm one? (Of course, money always plays a role.) Or do you simply 'hunt' and get what you can, when the mood (and EBay) strikes?

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 25, 2008 01:34 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Claus
I use both Super8 and 16mm, with many of the short films that I have collected over the years were only ever available on 16mm. I try to have a broad range of subject material to screen so having both Super8 and 16mm is a must. If I was to buy a feature I prefer 16mm providing the print is not to expensive.

Graham.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2008 03:58 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claus

For me it really is all about storage capacity. In our house I'm afraid 16mm would test the tolerance of my long suffering partner probably to the point of separation! [Roll Eyes]

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted October 26, 2008 01:58 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
A 12x16 foot room can easily hold 250-300 features in 35mm. Its all about how you store and rack the films that matters. [Cool]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC