8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » VS & LFP Observations

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: VS & LFP Observations
Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2008 05:02 AM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's now been four weeks since my five 1600' reels of Flash Gordon finished their Redcliffe Picture palace Liquid Film Plasticiser treatment. These reels had an eye wateringly strong vinegar smell, but no visual or structural defects (i.e. no warping, etc.).

So far I'm pretty impressed. The prints have been stored in open cardboard boxes since finishing the process and there is just a slight residual smell of the LFP. There is absolutely no vinegar smell at all. Only time will tell if this is a cure or a cosmetic improvement.

The treatment is a three month process comprised of four three week phases. Each phase involves sealing the prints in a can along with many drops of the LFP. My reels weren't quite full, I guess I treated about 6,500 feet of 16mm film and this used half a bottle of LFP.

Has anyone else got a longer term report on this product?

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 26, 2008 06:04 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have posted a report, along with pictures - as have other collectors - at

www.16mm-films.com

Would also have posted here, but for the great difficulty with uploading images.

-Mike

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2008 07:05 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike

quote:
Would also have posted here, but for the great difficulty with uploading images.

If you have trouble posting images, I'd be happy to help - it should just be a case of re-sizing them. Do you have a photo programme that you can reduce them in? If not you're welcome to email them to me and I could re-size them and email them back to you.

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 26, 2008 02:39 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Mike.

Let me try and find the pics. It was a few months back - they're on this PC somewhere!!!

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2008 03:27 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are the pictures:
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
Here is what Mike said about them:

Perhaps I should explain:

The first 6(Larry:actually 5-couldn't upload 1) photos are taken following 9 weeks treatment with LFP - I didn't hold out much hope at this point. I was pretty disappointed.

The last 2 photos were taken following a further 3 weeks treatment - quite a dramatic improvement, eh??

Mike O'Regan

Larry here-I usually try to avoid purchasing any film with VS, but if mine happen to get infected I will try this. I keep molecular sieves in all my film cans to prevent it from happening. I only have a handful of films but they are precise to me, expecially my Tech print of ONE MILLION YEARS BC.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 26, 2008 03:47 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Larry,

Thanks for putting those up.

I must add - this print did NOT smell of vinegar at all. It was badly warped.

Perhaps the early stages of VS?

-Mike

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC