8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » ELO: Live at Wembly (Special Edition, remastered) DVD Review

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ELO: Live at Wembly (Special Edition, remastered) DVD Review
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 31, 2008 05:24 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always loved this concert, but the original release of this concert from about ten years ago (or so), had absolutely horrible sound, and the video was sometimes cloudy and so, though I am a lifelong ELO fan, I was disappointed.

I had heard that "Eagle Vision" had released this on DVD and I was skeptical. What could you do with sound quality on 1978 videotape?

A whole heck of a lot!!

What I didn't know was that this concert WAS recorded apart from the videotape, and what Eagle Vision did was remaster those live tapes. Another thing I didn't know about the original release of this was that they had artificially added into the live mixes
audio tapes from the original albums, which made for an extremely bloated sound, incredibly messy.

So, how does the audio sound now?

This is the ACTUAL live performance as captured that very night!
(We even hear Jeff Lynne flub one of the lines from "Sweet Talkin Woman"). Where you couldn't even hear the live strings from the Violins and Cello's before, they are CLEARLY heard now.

Bev's drums are very clear and there are a lot of great drum riffs that just weren't there in the first DVD. The vocals are very good, (though, at times, are slightly buried, but there was so much going on sonic-ly at an ELO concert!).

A good example of the improvement in sound quality is Jeff's use of acoustic guitars on "Living Thing" and "Sweet talking Woman"
which are incredibly crisp!

Do not expect the kind of live sound quality that you would hear from todays live concerts which are recorded and mixed with the quality of studio mastering, but if you owned the other version of this on DVD, I really encourage you to get this DVD.

This edition does not have the "Video album" from "Discovery" that the earlier version had, and so, if you have that earlier version, stick that DVD in with this one.

This special edition ALSO has a complete reproduction of the program that was either sold or handed out the night of this special concert as well, (including all the ads as well!), and it is a very nice edition to this.

I should mention that the actual video had been filtered and restored as well, representing crisp dark blacks, and is a good deal sharper as well.

I heart-fully recommend this new edition!

If one of you fine chaps have a copy of this new edition of this DVD, could you please upload the cover from it?

The original edition? 2.5 stars
This edition? 5 stars ... truly earned, I really felt like I was there!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2008 05:35 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

Long-time fan of Mr. Lynne and company here, so that sounds like one to get. They truly had both tremendous songs and tremendous arrangements, coupled with Lynne's "larger-than-life" recording approach which borrowed a lot from Phil Spector.

Sounds like a great disc.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 31, 2008 08:41 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Claus, a major walk down memory lane!

But make sure it is the remastered special edition! I was able to buy off of ebay, brand new, for just $5.75, a great bargain, just don't get snookered into the old edition. The remastered special edition has the ELO "Jet" with the lovely ELO label in the background.

--------------------

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2008 05:04 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember seeinng this when it was first broadcast. Thought it was awful so I will keep a look out for this DVD as I too am a bit of an ELO fan.

I'll never forget the band miming to the opening number - that was disgraceful.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2008 06:25 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys.

I thought I'd mention, I'm a fan of E L O as well.

My favorite album has always been "A World Record", with Telephone Line, Mission, etc.. I like everything from this album, and it flows well as a whole.

James.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 01, 2008 09:51 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, you'll notice, on this new version, that the "miming" quality is gone, it's the actual song live.

I know what your saying however, and the main reason why is that there were a lot of extra tapes used on the show. As I stated in the review, they went back to the actual LIVE performance, and this is what is presented here.

It sounds like, though live, they did use some of they're string tracks to augment thier LIVE strings, as they just have the one violin and and two cello's.

Yes, I was strongly influenced in my own music by ELO. Though i never had the luxury of live strings, I have a magnificent Roland JW50 keyboard with very exceptable strings so that, if you divide down the tracks (one at a time) into the mix, the strings sound nearly perfect, so I was able to get a very full orchestral sound to my somewhat EURO-pop sound that I adored so!

I've never outgrown the love for ELO or the Beatles ...

but then, why should I?

--------------------

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2008 03:48 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'Out of the Blue' on blue vinyl. Now those were the days!

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC