8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The Essence Of Cool

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Essence Of Cool
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 31, 2008 11:55 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The other night I watched the two disc edition of "Bullitt" although I have mentioned this film before this 2 disc edition does have somthing special, two feature lenght Documentaries.

Steve McQueen: "The Essence Of Cool" who can argue with that one [Wink] and.

The Cutting Edge: "The Magic of Movie Editing" this is brilliant and worth getting the DVD alone with interviews with Steven Spielberg etc, an amazing insight into the behind scenes of one of the most important jobs "the editor" and the history behind it "great stuff"

These days you dont really come across many actors with the screen presence, if any that "Steve McQueen" had, he certainly was one of them. I remember watching him in "The Sand Pebbles" at the cinema back in the 60s he was an actor that did have "The Essence Of Cool" in later years "Clint Eastwood" was to make that same impression on me after watching "Dirty Harry" around 1971 at a cinema in London and its another film that has stuck in my mind all those years, so for me those two actors and there movies they made still stand out they were "The Essence Of Cool"
 -

Graham. [Smile]

[ April 30, 2009, 04:43 AM: Message edited by: Graham Ritchie ]

|  IP: Logged

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2008 01:01 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heck Graham you must have to much time on your hands at work!! [Big Grin]
yes I am hoping to get a 8mm forum members photo/s at the film buffs convention here next week! so Trevor if you are reading this we will be comming after you with a camera over the weekend! [Smile]
I am looking foward to it, it only happens down in my (and Grahams)neck of the woods every 3 years.
[Smile] Hope to buy some super 8 as well as some 16mm and maybe some 35mm!
I always think Steve McQueen's roles in THE GREAT ESCAPE and TOWERING INFERNO were great.
Pat [Smile]

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 01, 2008 02:10 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep... we did have a quiet day "labour day" [Roll Eyes] you missed the front counter arm wrestling contest I lost out to that one [Frown]
 -
front counter small but friendly [Smile]

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2008 02:54 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
looks like a hipe of activity! [Wink]
not much happening here at my cinema either [Frown]
Pat

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2008 03:02 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking forward to seeing some pics of the convention. My partner and I spent January of 2006 travelling around New Zealand so I guess we just missed your 3 yearly convention by a couple of months [Frown] , have to time my visit better next time round. [Smile]

Managed to meet up with Trevor though, which was great and went to several cinemas along the way - King Kong had just opened!

Also remember findng a little cine shop in Christchurch that had some interesting stuff in it but the guy intimated they were in the process of closing down [Frown] .

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 01, 2008 03:46 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike
Both yourself and any one else are very welcome to attend, the conventions here in NZ are held every 6 months in different centres around the country, they usually start on the Friday afternoon and run until Sunday evening. Everyone is well looked after, from being picked up at the airport "free" and dropped of for there flight home.

The last one I was involved in had a number of Australians visitors arrive from Melbourne, they included the convention with there New Zealand holiday and really enjoyed themselves here in the South Island. For others afterwards a full day trip on the on the Trans Alpine train journey to the West Coast is really spectacular especially at this time of year "its summer" with clear blue skies.

This time round the convention starts at the local Fire Station Lounge on friday afternoon with Registration, name tags are issued and worn throughout the weekend includes members registration number and are used for identification purposes at the auction, sales tables, refreshments and of course films [Big Grin] . Its also a time for people to catch up.

Saturday starts with morning tea, formal meeting, "The Auction" thats the big one, the rest of the day its on the bus to visit cinemas and the like and Saurday night its the meal at the New Brighton Club overlooking the sea "very nice" one thing we do is make "film theme" place mats and laminate them, they are really neat and people take them home afterwards then return to the venue for more films etc etc [Big Grin] .

Sunday: an early start back on the bus to the "Anartartic Centre" brilliant A/V display, penguin encounter, and snow experience back for lunch the afternoon is free for other cinema visits including home cinemas etc evening its a BBQ at members house plus more films etc etc its a pretty full on weekend and as mentioned many will follow this on with a holiday.

What makes these events work so well is everyone is out to enjoy themselves and its been running along those lines for many years now, well I will post photos in a few weeks time its a stunnng day outside so farewell for now.

Graham. [Smile]

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2008 03:55 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm certainly looking forward to this one chaps!Is it true that in ChCh they turn on heaters to simulate Antarctic weather? Here I am,73,and this will be the first time I've stayed in Christchurch.Actually,I've been to London/Paris/Rome more times than I've been to your fair city! [Wink] Trev

--------------------
Trevor

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 02, 2008 12:38 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
getting back to Steve McQueen, I really enjoyed his second to last film "Tom Horn", and I really wish that one was on Super 8. Its a kind of laid back western, but good. His last film, "The Hunter" was released as a 3X400, I believe.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 03, 2008 02:53 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The Hunter" came out in 1981 as a 50 minute {3/400ft} version I have never come across a copy of it, However I did buy a new print at the time of its release "The Sand Pebbles" as a 400ft version "very good" this film was also released as a 200 footer as well, for me, of all the Steve McQueen films I have watched "The Sand Pebbles" would have to be one of his best. The full feature I once saw at the cinema and later on DVD really does show this with his relationship with the engine and his feelings after having to kill the coolie that was being tortured.

Its interesting to note that other Super 8 films "The Great Escape" and "The Magnificient Seven" both on 1/600ft and in Scope have never been mentioned or revieved on the forum, as I dont have any Steve McQueen films on Super8 anymore, it would be interesting to here from anyone regarding there availabilty and present condition.

Graham. [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC