8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » "Cine Snaps" anyone?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Cine Snaps" anyone?
Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2008 05:27 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is pure idle curiosity, I have been going through some old family photographs with my Father and in amongst them we came across a series of 8 Cine Snaps of my Great Grandfather. The pictures arern't terribly interesting, they show him walking down a street, probably in Hastings.

However, I have never heard of Cine Snaps before and wondered what they were and what sort of camera they were filmed on - it seems to have been a cross between a stills and a cine camera? They were probably just some short lived gimic from the 1930s, has anyone else come across them?

I'll upload the last three below;

-

-

-

And the writing on the back;

-

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

|  IP: Logged

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2008 08:10 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

I could be something as simple as frame blow-ups from a film, marketed with a catchy name. The images look to be part of a filmed sequence.
I looked for the term with Google out of curiosity, and found nothing that would suggest a special process from the 30es, but someone else may know a bit more history regarding this.

Maybe these folks did use a film camera like a modern still camera with a winder, and picked the best stills out of a sequence.

In any case, nice images to have; some of the "best" home movies are really the ones that show the everyday things from a bygone period.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2008 02:09 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claus

quote:
In any case, nice images to have; some of the "best" home movies are really the ones that show the everyday things from a bygone period.
I agree. Strangely, when my Father talks about his Grand Father he always mentions how he would stride up Cambridge Rd. in Hastings at an impressive lick, even into his eighties and until shortly before he died. It seems fitting therefore that we have discovered this sequence of the old man in full stride as it were!

The pictures do apear to have been taken in rapid succession so likely with a cine camera of some description, I'm guessing that stills cameras in the 30s demanded a few seconds winding on before the next shot could be taken?

Fascinating, I only wish someone in the family had taken the plunge and got into cine all those years ago, what a great record that would have made!

Mike [Cool]

--------------------

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2008 03:41 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike.Maybe the photographic outfit used a MOVIEMATIC 3 in 1 camera(1930s)?The adverts for this gadget boasted."movies,movie books(flip books)and 40 snapshots on one film".Seems the camera took three different loads,M40 for snaps,M50 for flip books and M60 to take a movie film.Just looking at the machine I'd say it has a still frame and continuous run facility!Trev

--------------------
Trevor

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2008 03:48 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there's a General Moviematic 3 in 1 listed here...8mm pre war by the look (2 photos)given
www.collectiblecameras.com/catalog/index.php?category_id=710
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2008 02:24 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thankyou gentlemen,

the Moviematic 3 in 1 does indeed seem a likely contender. It's great to know these things existed. I wonder whether some enterprising chap in 1930s Hastings bought one of these unusual cameras and then made it his business to take short bursts of film of local people, then offer them the resulting set of photos for sale.

Difficult to imagine it nowadays, but it must have seemed quite a novelty to men like my Great Grandfather, who grew up in the Victorian era, to see a series of photgraphs of himself depicting movement.

Mike [Cool]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC