8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Disney's The Jungle Book

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Disney's The Jungle Book
Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2008 11:13 AM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone tell me the original aspect of this Disney classic. Was it 4:3 academy or was there a widescreen version?

Cheers,
Chris.

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

|  IP: Logged

peter booth
Master Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2008 11:47 AM      Profile for peter booth   Email peter booth       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chris,
I have the Platinum Edition DVD and this has an aspect ratio of 1.75.1 Widescreen,which I believe to be the correct ratio for the cinema release.
If I'm wrong then another forum member will put me right,
Regards,Peter.

Paul Tivy
Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2008 11:48 AM      Profile for Paul Tivy   Email Paul Tivy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disney aspect ratios are a thorny issue. As far as the Jungle Book goes, the latest widescreen dvd is clearly missing information from the top and bottom the picture compared to all previous home video releases, which were in 4:3. This shows that the animators used the whole Academy frame. However, like other non-anamorphic widescreen films, it would have been cropped for the cinema on its original release in 1967.

Best wishes,

Tiv

Chip Carpenter
Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2008 02:10 PM      Profile for Chip Carpenter   Email Chip Carpenter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's some additional discussion re: Disney and aspect ratios - although a little dated . . .
Link

Chip

--------------------
Elmo ST-1200HD M with the Elmo 1.1 Lens and a Chinon 2500GL

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2008 05:32 PM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link Chip.
So, I can watch this in 4:3 on my original DVD and Super 8 flat version and it's correct. and i can also watch in 1.75.1 version on the newer platinum dvd version. Although this would come out as 16:9 and not be correct as the original release. [Confused] [Confused] [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

Chris. [Frown]

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

Paul Tivy
Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2008 06:09 PM      Profile for Paul Tivy   Email Paul Tivy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not quite Chris. Your newer 1.175:1 platinum dvd is replicating the original cinema release. It's just that the older home video versions actually show more picture information than was in that original cinema release. Are we clear now?

Best wishes,

Tiv

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2008 11:34 PM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul, It's me having a blond moment, i have them quite a lot. [Big Grin]

OK, So the 4:3 is a pan & scan? as the film was never shot in this aspect even though the full hight of academy was used by the animators. Is that right? I can't remember what shape the screen was when i first went to see it at the cinema.

Chris.

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

Paul Tivy
Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2008 12:18 AM      Profile for Paul Tivy   Email Paul Tivy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 4:3 is the whole frame. The widescreen is cropped from that.

Best wishes,

Tiv

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2008 03:02 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As an interesting aside to this I went to a re-release of the film in the 1990's. The cinema couldn't cope with the 4x3 (1.33:1) aspect ratio of the print and therefore had areas of white screen showing down the edges. It became apparent this was a general problem around the world and caused Disney to abandon their policy of re-releasing their films in the original aspect ratios. Henceforth all Disney releases were butchered!

Thankfully the Super 8 print is the correct format and on top of that it's one of the best all-time Super 8 prints.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC