8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » dvd pc software question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: dvd pc software question
Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 21, 2008 10:56 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am wondering if there is XP software available for stopping down and transferring dvd movies. Here's my problem:

My video projector is placed inside the booth, approx 25.5 feet to the screen. The lens is set to the smallest picture size, and height fills the screen at 4 ft tall.

Anything 4 x 3 letterboxed and/or 16 x 9 scope fits nicely.

Problem: Old style 1:33 goes off screen, ceiling and almost to the floor.

I do not want to move the projector closer to the screen or add another screen.

Hence my question.

What I would like to do is shrink down a 4 x 3 full frame disc and remaster it to a standard flat letterboxed disc. If done correctly, it would be full size for height, and the wide screen effect would have vertical letterboxing on the left and right sides of the screen.

And, I am wondering if macrovision encoding would even make this possible.

A friend suggested if I could add a longer lens infront of the Panasonic present lens, but I have not researched that yet.

The projector is a Panny AX200U.

Thanks for any help or recommendations.

Chip G

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted November 21, 2008 12:30 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What you're asking is "pillarboxing" - ie black bars on both sides.

For good quality results, each film would require quite a lot of work. Ripping properly a disk to your hard drive takes time. Importing resulting file into imageing/editing software would also take time. Remember that in digital format, one hour of video represents 13 Gb of data. The actual conversion to the new image format wouldn't take long, Final Cut Pro does this in a snap. But then rendering, exporting and re-encoding the new file would take ages. Are you willing to spend several hours of your time on this for each 1.33 film you want to project?

The extra lens could be an interesting lead to follow.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC