8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Ice Cold In Alex

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ice Cold In Alex
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 18, 2009 11:25 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
Who can remember this excellent film? also known as "Desert Attack" 1960 although the original title states 1958, now here is a question? [Roll Eyes] I have always wondered if it was possible ie in the movie at one point they back the truck up a high sand dune by removing the spark plugs and with using the starting handle with the gearbox locked in reverse hand wind the truck all the way up, [Eek!] as they cant use the engine as it disturbs the sand and the wheels spin.... now is it possible that what is shown in the film ie hand cranking the engine in reverse gear does work? anyone with thoughts on that one? I have been trying to figure that one out for many.. many... years.

Graham. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 19, 2009 06:02 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham,

Hand cranking the engine would (slowly) turn the tires in a vehicle with a clutch. It used to be that you could move a car with the starter by leaving it in gear. On my car they've locked out the starter while the clutch is engaged so this wont work anymore, probably so somebody can't do this by accident and crash into something.

With an automatic transmission the engine wouldn't be able to turn the wheels doing this because it has to be spinning fast enough to make the torque converter engage (at least idling speed). Then again a car with a hand crank and an automatic transmission would be a pretty rare bird!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2009 08:21 AM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes,it can be done as my old dad did it during the last war-but within plausible reason! The film makers used up a lot of poetic license on that sequence,but it made brilliant viewing.
Dad saw his wartime service in Alexandria and its environs.

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 23, 2009 05:37 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Barry
Thanks for that imformation I think they also used sand mats that could be placed under the wheels.

Steve
Up to a few years ago I would never own an automatic only manual, with less of those cars around these days I was forced to buy an auto, with a manual the first thing to do was to check was that you were in neutral if not and as you mentioned it was easy to leap frog forward into another car "crunch" when you turned the key. Years ago during my apprenticeship at a garage where I worked we had an old Dodge X-US military three and a half ton brake down truck and I had to use the starting handle every time "no starter was fitted" prime the carb, turn the engine over three times with ignition off, get it on the compression, ignition on, then a good pull on the starting handle, the big six cylinder side valve would kick into life every time, if you got it right [Smile] however she could kick back and brake your thumb [Eek!] so it was a case of not putting your thumb around the starting handle that was a "no no" [Wink]

Both my children learned to drive in a manual what an experience that was, never again [Eek!] poor car, out here under certain conditions you can drive a car on the road when you are 15 years old but are required for your full licence to be able to drive a manual.
 -
The poor car [Frown] they both learned to drive in, my daughter later was to buy it and after a few "dings" that was the end of that, my son always wanted it however his paper round was not enough also he was a bit to young as well.

Graham. [Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 23, 2009 09:06 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I drive a manual by choice and other than long sessions of stop and go traffic I've never regretted it.

A few years back my starter died at the shop I'd just dropped a couple of hundred bucks at to have an oil pan gasket replaced so I could pass inspection.

I felt I'd left enough money there that day already...Besides, I get the nagging feeling the guy in the shop may have err... euthanized my starter since it wasn't that bad when I dropped the car off!

I knew if I could get the car home I could replace it myself for about a quarter what they'd charge, and I was on a hillside. So I put the ignition switch "on", pushed in the clutch, put it in gear and let it roll down the hill about 10 feet and let out the clutch. It started right up and I drove home, very pleased with my escape!

That one moment all by itself justified having a manual transmission!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC