8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » 21 DVD Laurel & Hardy Boxset Bargain

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 21 DVD Laurel & Hardy Boxset Bargain
Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2009 05:06 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Just in case anyone hasn't yet bought this superb boxset it is now available from Play.com for only £34.99 incl. UK delivery - the direct link to this item is:

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/157802/Laurel-And-Hardy-Box-Set/Product.html

This is pretty close to a giveaway price bearing in mind the quality of these DVD sets.

Kevin

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 24, 2009 10:48 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I could gamble on buying this, but half of the region 2 DVD sets I've gotten from overseas won't play over here and I'd hate to be tortured with a beautiful set I can't play!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2009 05:30 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi -
you need a region free DVD player (or computer software) to play region 2 dvds properly... I've got dozens and they all play just fine.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 27, 2009 07:54 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The quality of these Osi is fantastic, and projected 8 feet wide they look stunning and film-like as well.

£35 is crazy cheap for this great set.

Best Mark.
PS just going to pop one on.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 28, 2009 10:32 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven,

I have a region free DVD player, but it's awful finicky as to which region 2 DVD it'll play. Don't understand why, but that's the way it is.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 28, 2009 12:27 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi here in the UK you can buy a superb all regions player for £14.99 in Asda ( wallmart) I`d expect you could get the same in dollars your way.
The more up to date cheapies are a lot less fussy as well.
You could sell a couple of features to get another player and this set, They are super.

Best Mark.

PS anyone in the UK the 14.99 small black Asda cheapie gives an awesome picture and CDs are magic on them as well. Even just composite looks stunning.
Best Mark.

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2009 12:51 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Chaps

Osi - if your player runs some Region 2 disks but not others it is probably because some disks have RCE encoding which means the software expects a 'handshake' with the machine to confirm it is a specific region rather than multiregion. So you could try setting the machine (temporarily) to Region 2 rather than multiregion if you know the handset hack for your model.

Also the output video format should be set to Auto to enable a PAL signal to be output to a (hopefully) compatible TV.

The only downside of sending this set to the USA may be the shipping charges as it is a big heavy box and postage free to UK only.

Kevin

Robert Wales
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2009 03:02 PM      Profile for Robert Wales   Email Robert Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For what it's worth, this set plays with no problems for me. ( Canada and the U.S. are the same region so I had to modify one of my players to make it region-free ) I paid quite a bit more for it when I purchased it from Amazon UK. The box has often been discussed on the Home Theater Forum and nobody in North America has ever reported a problem playing it on a proper region-free player. I would take the chance at this price if I were you. And unless I'm mistaken you will save an additional 17% as overseas does not pay the dreaded V.A.T. tax that must be charged in Britain.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2009 07:44 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Several years ago, I was desperate to have the last volume (Vol. 21)
that contains Brats with the original 1930 film sound track.
Unlike the 1937 re-release of this short, it moves
at a completely different pace and is very enjoyable.
Vol. 21 includes the boys speaking German in trailer of Pardon Us,
silent Charlie Chase in Fluttering Hearts, Our Gang in Thundering Fleas,
Max Davidson in Prudence and a documentary on the boys.

I found a free software hack online for my Toshiba DVD,
and it converted the Region one to Region zero with ease,
and the quality is first rate.

I tried to purchase the entire set,
but there is not an option for overseas sales.
I will try Amazon and hope for the best.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Robert Wales
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 29, 2009 11:20 AM      Profile for Robert Wales   Email Robert Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amazon UK's current price is only slightly higher than Play.com so this purchase is a real bargain for those of you in North America. I have used both Amazon UK and Amazon Japan and they are both 100% reliable for service and shipping to North America.
If you are a customer who has used the U.S. or Canadian sites you can sign in locally and transfer over to UK using the link at the bottom of the Amazon home page, and your shipping and payment information follows with you. It can hardly be much easier.

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 29, 2009 04:47 PM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quality set. I love mine. A real Bargain!

Chris.

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2009 11:39 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BTW - even if an amazon price is higher than play, amazon refunds the VAT to non-UK buyers, so you basically get 17.5% off the listed price ...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC