8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Our Provence theater

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Our Provence theater
Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted August 02, 2009 07:34 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As promised in the "What film did you show..." thread on the 8mm forum, here are a few "work in progress" pics of the cinema I'm building at a friend's house in Provence.

It all started with an abandonned vaulted sheepfold below the house. Over 2008, it was totally cleaned and refurbished, with concrete injections to reinforce the ceiling and a slightly elevated hardwood floor to keep everything away from any potential humidity. The cellar is roughly 30 x 15 ft and can accomodate an audience of roughly 20 persons. The front part has been given an extra 8 inches step to be used as a small stage.

This July, I built the screen (wood frame with fabric plus black-painted plywood for masking). It is attached to a steel structure made out of an old shelving system that uses small pistons as attachements in the floor and ceiling. It's been customized in order to withstand the weight of the screen itself, the light fixtures, the speakers and a storage space for unused masking boards.

The screen in its academic/4:3 masking configuration (the masking boards can be simply clipped to the side of the screen):

-

With the "flat" masking and back lighting. The narrower boards can slide sideways in order to accomodate the 1.66, 1.78 and 1.85 formats:

-

The screen in scope configuration (it's 10ft wide) and some of the cinema seats. I decided on building units of 3 seats, attached to small platforms with teflon pads. Seat units, normally very heavy, can be moved around without much effort, so the cinema can be used for dancing, playing games, etc. When it is finished, the room will feature (pun intended) 6 units of 3 seats. You can see additionnal platforms awaiting to be fitted with seats just in front of the screen:

-

Looking the other way around. Two seat units (one is already painted) and the projector stand made out of two reinforced Ikea filing cabinets. I also used this method here at my Paris cinema. The heavier machine rests on a gliding panel so it can simply be pushed away in order to make way for the 16mm projector (here the Eiki Xenon). Later this year, probably around Xmas, we will build the booth with sound-proof walls:

-

Projector stand in detail. The heavy Portacine on its gliding board (equipped with handles and teflon pads), so it can be pushed away from the optical center in order to make way for either super 8 or 16 projectors. Shelves in the cabinets are used to store the projectors and tools on one end and some prints on the other:

-

This old kitchen table has been rebuilt into a multiformat rewind bench for up to 6000ft reels:

-

Our "a la fresca" set-up. The house being built on a hillside, we use the middle terrace as a booth, the lower terrace as the audience area with reclining deck chairs and the opposite wall, painted white, as a screen (in scope we project a 35ft wide image):

-

Seen here is a shot of "The Grass is Greener" (the digital camera doesn't do justice to this Technicolor print):

-

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted August 03, 2009 03:59 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something I also mentioned in the "What film did you show" topic...

We helped organizing a 1960s revival festival in the village and transformed one of the town square garages into a small cinema. We screened scopitones all afternoon, with the films' sound being plugged into the P.A. system. It was the star attraction of the day and my daughter didnt miss any of the screenings:

-

The screen is a smaller portable version of the one built for the cellar cinema as it's only 6ft wide for cinemascope. It is also "green" ie - made out of wood bits from an abandonned window frame found on the street and an old bedsheet.

--------------------

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2009 06:06 AM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Commendable! Valiant effort and success to your screening.However (there is just one) I trust you will be doing sonething about accoustic "deadening" as those harsh plain wall and ceiling surfaces wont do your sound reproduction any favours! Just an observation but one that needs addressing I beleive.

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted August 05, 2009 05:51 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Barry, you're correct. We've noticed a considerable improvement the day we brought some carpets and all the cinema seats in as it got rid of most of the echo. The wooden floor also helps. Right now, sound is just mono, coming from a really huge B&H speaker (it's nearly 40cm in diameter) and with the projector noise (particularly the Portacine) and people in the room, all is fine. I'll address the issue when I install video projection and 7.1. [Wink] But first, we'll built the partition sound proof wall to isolate the machines from the audience.

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted August 07, 2009 09:02 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some more pics I received today, taken while the screen was being assembled:

-

The tape on the ceiling is the focal mark for the video projector. Hooks are already in place.

-

The screen material has been attached to the frame:

-

--------------------

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2009 11:21 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Marc,

This is beautiful! I love the combination of old/new and that space is so unique.
Also, the outdoor screening, with the painted wall; for some reason it made me think of 'Cinema Paradiso' [Smile]
Now tell me your friend is living in a beautiful village with vineyards nearby, and I will move there [Big Grin]

Very nice work; thank you for the pictures.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted August 07, 2009 07:02 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claus, do "Chateau Simone", "Domaine de Rimauresque" and "Pierrevert Syrah" sound sweet to your ears? They are among the best red wines outside of the Bordeaux region. And they're all made in the area. [Big Grin]
The house is being rented on a regular basis when the owner is in Paris. If you're interested for some real typical holidays, let me know. [Wink]
here's the village .

--------------------

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2009 07:48 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Marc,

That sounds wonderful! I'll definitely keep this in the back of my mind for future reference. [Smile]

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC