8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » British Childrens Programmes from the past

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: British Childrens Programmes from the past
Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2009 10:49 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just been reading Osi’s post “My Wife has never heard of Captain Kangaroo” and I thought how “surreal” this post must seem to us Brits, not knowing about American T.V. children’s programmes and presenters etc. I then started thinking that if we discussed our childhood T.V. programmes, from a Brit point of view, how surreal will that be to our American cousins?

The trouble is – where do we begin? We had -
“Muffin the Mule” (no jokes please, gentlemen!), Presented by the esteemed actor Sir John Mills sister – Annette.
 -

“Watch with Mother” – which was a compendium of children’s characters including -“Bill and Ben – The Flowerpot Men” not forgetting their friend “Little Weed”. These characters spoke with a unintelligible language “ Slobber, Dobber, Flobber, Dobberlot – Little Weed”. That could mean anything from “Einstein’s Theory of Relativity” to “Good Morning, Little Weed”, it all depended on the narrator.

-

“Andy Pandy” who shared a toy basket with “Looby Loo” and “Teddy” (how politically incorrect would that be deemed today?).
 -

“Rag, Tag and Bobtail” – A hedgehog, a mouse and a rabbit.
 -

“Picture Book” – a talking story book with “Bizzy Lizzie”.

“The Woodentops” A family of wooden dolls on a farm.

Then we had –
“Torchy the Battery Boy”,
 -

“Four Feather Falls” starring “Tex Tucker” (mind the jokes again, please) and
“Supercar” with “Mike Mercury”, (these were early Gerry Anderson productions).

"Sooty and Sweep" -

-

"Lenny the Lion" -
"Archie Andrews"

Moving onto “real life presenters” –
“The Five O’Clock Club” with “Olly Beak” and “Fred Barker” (an owl and a dog puppet respectively),
 -

“Blue Peter”, (Still being shown today!)
“Magpie”
“Crackerjack”

The list, as with the memories, is endless.

Are there any “memorable British Childrens Progs/Presenters other members may know?

[ October 28, 2009, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: Keith Ashfield ]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 28, 2009 01:13 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Torchy the Battery Boy looks quite naughty, with those eyebrows!

Let us not forget those British childrens educational shows from the past that taught many good things ...

Monty Python's Flying Circus = Treating each other with respect.
Keeping up appearances = proper decorum and manners
Last of the Summer Wine = proper abuse of the elderly (very important!)
Father Ted = The proper observance of religion!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 28, 2009 01:14 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Torchy the Battery Boy looks quite naughty, with those eyebrows!

Let us not forget those British childrens educational shows from the past that taught many good things ...

Monty Python's Flying Circus = Treating each other with respect.
Keeping up appearances = proper decorum and manners
Last of the Summer Wine = proper abuse of the elderly (very important!)
Father Ted = The proper observance of religion!

and, of course ...

Benny Hill Show = How to treat women with respect and proper British sex education!

(snicker snicker, wink wink, nudge nudge!)

--------------------

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2009 01:45 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, you had to be careful getting "involved" with "Torchy" as there were always "strings attached". [Wink]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2009 02:26 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Keith,
Pipkin?? springs to mind,not sure if that's the correct title(i was very young) but i remember the character Hartley Hare...Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2009 02:41 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Q. Why was Little Weed always wet?

A. Because Bill and Ben flob a lot! [Big Grin]

My own child hood tv memories were just a little later than yours Keith [Wink] - my favorites being the Clangers and the Wombles. I've been collecting The Wombles on Super 8, I think 6 episodes were released and I have 4 so 2 to go!

What about Bag Puss, he was always a winner with me. Who remembers the mice "we can do it!" and Proffessor Yaffel "Nya Nya Nya" [Big Grin]

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2009 02:54 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you claiming to have been a regular viewer of "Muffin the Mule", Keith?
If so, join the club!. If there are enough of us left, could we perhaps do a T-shirt?
And who's going to tell us all about Mr. Pastry?
Martin.

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2009 02:57 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once had a 16mm telerecording of a "Flowerpot Men" show -- totally incoherent to an American!!

My favorite UK "children's" show is Dr. Who.... Got about 100 of them in 16mm.....

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 28, 2009 03:20 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant topic Keith it brought long ago memories of growing up in Britain during the late 50s-60s I dont think I watched to much TV,to busy out terrorizing the neighbourhood instead [Roll Eyes] however I do remember "The Flowerpot Men" and especially "Weed" was his name spoken like weeeeeed... long drawn out? [Roll Eyes] Blue Peter as you mentioned and "Sooty and Sweep" it would be great to see some of those old programmes again.. a bit of nostalgia.

Graham. [Smile]

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 28, 2009 03:30 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve you're not alone. Totally indecipherable to an Irishman also.
[Smile]

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2009 03:38 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin, I not only claim fame for watching "Muffin the Mule" but I have a photograph of me aged approximately four sat astride the said "beast". If I can find it, I'll scan it and give everyone a good laugh.

Mark, yes it was "Pipkin".

Of course musn't forget "Pinky and Perky".

-

The BBC did an excellent VHS release of all of the "classic" Watch with Mother programmes. Sadly, I don't think it's available on DVD.

-

Mr Pastry, played by Richard Hearne.

-

I can remeber his dance routine of "The Lancers" - Hilarious. (See link below to video of routine)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fedb77hZF18

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 28, 2009 03:57 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh!..I dont no I understood it [Smile] things like....flub a dub..... and so on....oh! my distorted memory is now coming back or is it me being of "Scottish" descent that helped [Wink]

Graham. [Smile]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 28, 2009 04:57 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Were those stop action animated "Paddington bear" shows a british kids show?

--------------------

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2009 05:33 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about Captain Pugwash featuring the characters Seaman Staines and Master Bates!!

I,m not kidding the BBC managed to get away with the above!!!

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2009 05:40 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As an aside (and unashamed sales plug) - if anyone out there is a Richard Hearne fan, I've got a 16mm print of "Madam Louise" available for sale for $199... :-)

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 28, 2009 05:50 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark ...

You've GOT to be kidding?!

If true, I think I was pretty screwy for being pissed off with Pee Wee Herman!

--------------------

Paul Tivy
Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2009 06:37 PM      Profile for Paul Tivy   Email Paul Tivy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aha! At last my favourite subject. I have examples of ALL the programmes mentioned in this thread (and even a Mr Pastry film) on VHS, Laserdisc, Super 8, 16mm and DVD. To clear up the Captain Pugwash question, this is in fact an urban myth and has been the subject of litigation. Guardian Newspapers amongst many others were forced to offer an apology to John Ryan for repeating such foolishness. For the record, the crew of The Black Pig were Captain Pugwash, Pirate Barnabus, Pirate Willy, Master Mate and Tom the cabin boy. And no others. Stand on me. I have the tapes!

Tiv

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2009 06:42 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark / Osi, I think you will find that the actual name in "Pugwash" was "Master Mate", who always had a teddy in his bunk and misquoted his words quite a lot. The other "misquoted" character was "Tom the Cabin Boy", who name was said to be "Roger the Cabin Boy"?

-
Master Mate

-
Tom the Cabin Boy

There was another character, called "Willy" ?

Sorry for the repetition, Paul, you just beat me to it.

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 28, 2009 07:01 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thinking back "Sooty" was my favourite but the thing I remember most and I hope I am not going of topic to far was the Western on British TV, although not British it was very popular with children at the time, my earliest thoughts were such like Wagon Train, Laramie, Rawhide and later "The Virginian" which was a big hit with its catchy theme music.

As well as TV, Childrens radio programmes were very good, in some ways better than TV "letting your imagination run wild" used to enjoy listing to them, cant remember any names though [Frown]

Graham.

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2009 09:28 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember watching when I was younger (Im 23)
POSTMAN PAT
DR WHO (was repeats of the late 60s early 70s episodes)
RAINBOW ( had a thing with a zip for a mouth)
WOZEL GRUMMAGE (had DR WHO in it!)

All great fun! [Big Grin]
Patrick

-

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2009 02:07 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wot about Basil Boom,Boom Brush and Mr Derek? [Wink]

--------------------
Trevor

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2009 02:13 PM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Catweazle first hit the British screens on Sunday February the 15th 1970.

Written by Richard Carpenter. The entire series was filmed in 16mm and was a mile stone for children’s TV. Nothing like it had ever been done before and it cast the mould for many more such like programs. Starring as Catweazle was Geoffrey Bayldon who gave up an offer to be the next Dr Who eventually being offered to Jon Pertwee.

Also starring Charles Tingwell Neil McCarthy and Robin Davies.

The story is about an eleventh centuary wizard who managed to transport himself to the 20th centuary. He ends up making friends with a farmers son who keeps him hidden. Catweazle finds an old water tower in the woods to live in, and has lots of adventures trying to find a way back to own time. The boy just thinks he is a bit mad and does not believe him. Catweazle thinks everything he sees is magic and calls electricity, ELEC-TRICKERY.

A second series was commision, good but not as good as the first. I strongly recommend it, and is available on DVD.
 -

-

-

I loved this and still do, i have many happy memories of the wonderful Sundays, so long ago.

Chris.

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

Gordon Hunter
Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2009 05:43 PM      Profile for Gordon Hunter   Email Gordon Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BBC TV in the early 1950s had "Billy Bean and his Funny Machine" and don't forget "The Magic Roundabout". (Florence, Dougal the Scotty dog, Zebedee (who was attached to a spring) and others).
Zebedee always appeared at the end of each five minute episode with his catch phrase "time for bed" and it is!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC