8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Audio-Video setups

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Audio-Video setups
Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2009 12:16 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen alot of different setups with both projectors and audio equipment, so I thought, why not create a thread where people can show off their overall gear.

I'll go first.

Video:
Here I have two different setups.
1) Dell projector (1024x768) for VHS/DVD/DivX/AVI-projection, with my Acer laptop as a video source 1, with a VHS-player as video source 2. Audio goes through an old Sony stereo and comes out through the original four speakers. This setup is mostly used for the occasional DVD, but mostly old VHS tapes of football matches and home recordings. Projects onto a solid white wall.

2) Eumig S710D & Elmo ST-180M 8mm-projectors, with the Eumig currently being the main projector, but once my setup is finished it will purely be used for intermissions or Regular 8 reels (as the Elmo only plays S8). Elmo ST-180M will become the main projector once I've finished overhauling it. Projects onto a homemade screen measuring 210x140 cm, covering about 60% of the screen during screening. Audio from the Elmo will be sent via a Mitsubishi stereo rack and output through the original two speakers aswell as two homebuilt speakers. For now, the Eumig uses the built-in speakers as it has no way of sending output to an external amplifier.

Audio:
1) Homebuilt stereo with an Tandberg amplifier (mid-80s), a JVC cd-player (2004), a Sony recordplayer (c. 1992) and two old Rolex(?) speakers from the late 70s. Also has aux input/output to-and-from my home computer, as I do alot of vinyl-to-cd copying this way.

2) Mitsubishi stereo-rack, as mentioned above, with 2x original speakers and 2x homebuilt speakers. Has a record player, a CD-player, cassette and AM/FM tuner. Also wired to an iPod dock.

Other:
I also have two laptops (including the aforementioned Acer) and a desktop computer used for school, work and video/audio editing, aswell as a decent record collection (maybe 500 records in total) which I've collected for two years.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

|  IP: Logged

Bart Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2009 12:38 PM      Profile for Bart Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Bart Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For now, the Eumig uses the built-in speakers as it has no way of sending output to an external amplifier.
The Eumig has a 5-pin DIN socket, if you source the appropriate adaptor or leads you can feed the sound output to an amplifier.

--------------------
www.bluecinetech.co.uk

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2009 01:14 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Eumig 710D also has a "switched" External Speaker socket on the speaker side, just below the speaker.
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2009 01:58 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CHIP GELMINI'S CINEMA:

SUPER 8 PROJECTORS:

ELMO ST 1200 HD /W/OPTICAL X 2 FOR CHANGEOVER
Audio outputs aux out track 1 only and dual track (moni 1 & moni 2) go into Radio Shack audio selectors. With the press of a button I can switch sound formats without swapping cables (adds the mono-stereo switch built in to the GS 1200)

VIDEO PROJECTOR:
PANASONIC PTAX200U
Connected via S-video into main Radio Shack switchbox. Receives signal from 2 DVD players linked to the same switch box. DVD 1 is set to flat letterboxed discs; and DVD 2 is set for 16x9 scope discs.

SOUND SYSTEMS:
Sound rack 1 for Theater:
Yamaha DSP 580 Dolby Pro Logic decoder (1 of 2) connected to Radio Shack 10 band equalizer (left & right). Sound then travels through 2 Carver power amplifiers for all screen channels (L, C, R, SW)

Sound rack 2 for booth monitor:
Yamaha DSP 580 Dolby Pro Logic decoder (2 of 2) processing all 5 channels.

Speakers behind the screen are Radio Shack T-120 Tower models for left and right channels; and a Yamaha book shelf dedicated shielded center channel speaker; and Twin Pioneer sub woofers. All speakers behind the screen are matched with 8" woofers. This is an authentic theater screen with holes for sound penetration. The speakers are well hidden yet still pump out the massive sound.

What is not described in detail here is the hundreds of feet of cables, both audio connections and speaker lines - carefully installed and tested to make certain of proper connection.

The booth is also managed with several primary remote controls for ease of access as required during a given show.

Many of you also know by now of my long play Tower system for extended reels. Please see the article related to that subject for more information. In addition, you can also see the thread of screening room pictures and mine are on page 5.

This was a good thread to get started!

-CG-

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2009 03:43 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bart, I didn't know that was an output socket, thanks for the tip [Smile]

Martin, I am aware of that, but it only supports sending to speakers, and not to amplifiers.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 13, 2009 03:29 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Projectors : Elmo GS1200 and Eumig 938

Digital Projector: Panasonic AE700, 720p

Two Panasonic DVD players and one Panasonic BD60 Blu-ray player

Sound System: Sony 100 watt Pro-logic amplifier, Yamaha 10 band stereo equalizer ( used for super 8mm input), 5 Bose speakers.

Screen; 110 ins wide matt wide 2.35:1 CinemaScope screen, with remote controlled motorized masking panels for 16:9 and 4:3.

Seating: normally 5 people, but up to 10 can be accomodated with additional seats.

Remote dimmable curtain and ceiling lights.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2009 03:53 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice, Paul, especially that retro piece you have sitting on that small table there [Wink]

--------------------

Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2009 10:56 PM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
8mm - Elmo ST-600
16mm - Ampro Stylist Major Mk. 2
35mm - Philips FP3 2K/6K
Video - Hitachi PJ-TX200 (Actually my parents [Razz] )

My parents have a home cinema that miraculously had a window to the centre rear. This allows me to set up the film projectors on the verandah pointing through the window thereby blocking most machine noise.

Bart Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2009 01:55 AM      Profile for Bart Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Bart Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Christian,

5 pin DIN sockets are bi-directional, with combined inputs and outputs. However not all DIN sockets will be wired in both directions.

The best sort of adaptor to buy would be a short one terminating in 4 phono sockets, this way you can plug phono leads of whatever length you need into them, and by experimentation find out which of the 4 is carrying the audio output signal.

For example you could consider something like this item on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370167244474

Presumably the Tandberg uses 5 pin DIN anyway, in which case you would need a 5 pin DIN to 5 pin DIN lead? At least that is what I recall from my past life as a used HiFi trader! You need to find one wired for stereo usage, a MIDI lead will look the same but is wired differently.

--------------------
www.bluecinetech.co.uk

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC