8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Oscar Nominations

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Oscar Nominations
Douglas Meltzer

- posted February 02, 2010 02:25 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
* “Avatar”
* “The Blind Side”
* “District 9”
* “An Education”
* “The Hurt Locker”
* “Inglourious Basterds”
* “Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire”
* “A Serious Man”
* “Up”
* “Up in the Air”

With the number of best picture nominations increased to ten, there were bound to be some surprises. I can't comment on "District 9" since I haven't seen it, but I thought "Inglourious Basterds" was a film with two great scenes (the opening interrogation, the basement bar) and that's about it.

Nice to see "Up" nominated in both Best Picture and Best Animated Feature categories.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

|  IP: Logged

Stewart John Boyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2010 02:38 PM      Profile for Stewart John Boyle   Email Stewart John Boyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A very widespread list this year,
I still have to see inglorious,maybe a dvd purchase.
District nine i thought was enjoyable,i watched about an hour of hurt locker and thought it was going nowhere fast.. i think i need to watch it again. My early predictions is that i dont think Avatar will win any of the majors,maybe special effects,etc...
Cant wait for Oscar night though [Smile]
Stewart

--------------------
I`ve, seen things you people wouldn`t believe,

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2010 02:41 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me, "Avatar" or "Up".

Inglorious was great, but I'm a hardcore Tarantino fan, so I pretty much love everything he makes [Wink]

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2010 04:24 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Inglourious Basterds is my pick for best picture. I thought Avatar & Hurt Locker were entertaining but not great. Cameron must be fumming that his ex-wife won Director's guild award. I've watched Basterds several times already, but the others I have really no desire to see again. Avatar is by far my least favorite Cameron film. Not very repeatable for me. I've seen UP but I thought it should only be in its own category.

Christoph Waltz will hopefully will the Oscar for best supporting actor. He won several already. Well deserved.

And I'm not a big fan of Quintin Tarantino. I didn't even like Pulp Fiction. And that other thing he made last was just horrid.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2010 05:47 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't watch too much TV anymore. I can't believe the Tarantino film is actually nominated?....Wow! Times have changed from years ago! I guess the old prejudices in the academy are gone. I'm a big fan of his films, including "Inglourious Basterds", which was totally keeping with his own unique style. Usually the directors I admire most NEVER get Oscar mention.

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2010 10:53 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Boondock Saints. The most underrated film ever.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Douglas Meltzer

- posted February 03, 2010 11:17 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christian,

I really liked Boondock Saints, but didn't see the sequel (All Saints Day). How was it?

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC