8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » 35mm to 4K Digital Projection-Conversion (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 35mm to 4K Digital Projection-Conversion
Stewart John Boyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2010 01:26 PM      Profile for Stewart John Boyle   Email Stewart John Boyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I personally get the feeling that Moore`s Law may well apply for Digital Projectors.
Re-fit after Re-fit..,
Yours
Stewart

--------------------
I`ve, seen things you people wouldn`t believe,

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 16, 2010 02:04 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would just like to add that in the last 10 years of projecting 35mm for a living that its...very...very reliable. The three projectors we use Bauer U4 which is now 30-40 years old [Eek!] the Simplex and a Kinoton. The three screens that those projectors run in start about 10am in the morning through to 11pm at night with a 10-15 minute gap between sessions for downstairs staff to clean and allowing about 5 minutes or so for the projectionist to clean the projector down and re-thread. "I also do the weekly schedule" we can screen up to ten different features here in one day. The projectors can be running 12-14 hours a day every day every week every year [Smile] with only Christmas day is the cinema closed. I do the Xenon lamp changes [Eek!] early in the morning and projector maintenance is done outside the school holidays with the occasional nil session. I am still amazed in particular with the Bauer U4 and I cant even imagine the hours that projector has done since this cinema opened in 1991 good German engineering once again. The owners of this cinema and the shopping mall that its part of have certainly had there money worth out of film projecting thats for sure. In those 10 years I can only recall [Roll Eyes] about six times that a projector has broken down and I cant even remember the last time we recieved a complaint from the public regarding picture and sound its been years. I put all this down to not just the film equipment which by now does need an upgrade, but to the other two projectionist I work with, one other like me is full time the other which is part time and still at school, both do a really good job. One day and I dont think its to far into the future that with this cinema the film projectors etc like its projectionist will be history but its certainly been an experience that none of us working with film shall forget [Smile] .

Graham.

Darren Payne
Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2010 04:02 PM      Profile for Darren Payne   Email Darren Payne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm. Heard today that a well maintained 7 year old Victoria 5 including console and CNR platter was dumped into a skip in 'a cinemas' car park yesterday to make way for a digital replacement. Looks like this story won't be uncommon too.. How sad.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted February 17, 2010 02:13 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The sales of brand new 35mm projectors still outperform Digital Barco's and the like by a considerable margin......
That is simply not true. Christie and Strong are the two biggest manufacturers of 35mm equipment. Christie has already stopped manufacturing 35mm projectors entirely and Strong is very close to the end.

However everyone is correct here, the usable lifespan of these digital projectors will never come close to the usable lifespan of film projectors. That statement is in reference to technology only, regardless if the projector would physically run for 100 years or not.

quote:
If there's a new movie we want to see we can wait the 12 weeks or so til DVD release and watch it in the comfort of our own home, on a TV or with VP if you have it.
The studios are now trying to reduce that even more.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted February 17, 2010 03:12 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemeccanica, although still having their hands in 35 (but not for long), are currently pushing their sales of rebadged Barco projectors.
I have a feeling that films will soon be sold like sport events via pay per view. On the day of their release, you'll be abe to go watch a film in a digital theatre or pay a hefty sum and download it to watch it at home. The longer you wait, the cheaper the price.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2010 10:58 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are having digital installed in coming weeks, hopefully leaving 3 homeless 35/70 Vic 8s [Cool]

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 17, 2010 01:21 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad Miller said:"The studios are now trying to reduce that even more"

I thought they were trying to reduce the cinema exclusivity from 17 weeks to 12 weeks as in this article:
http://www.inentertainment.co.uk/20100216/disneys-alice-in-wonderland-could-face-cinema-boycott/

You mean they are looking for even less time???

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC