8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Film & Photo Ltd - London lab - still in business?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Film & Photo Ltd - London lab - still in business?
Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted March 26, 2010 08:17 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that some collectors have used a lab in South Acton, called Film & Photo Ltd and run by a guy called Tony Scott, for printing 16mm replacement footage, etc. But links I've tried to the lab website don't seem to work and an email to the email address has brought no reponse.

I wondered if anyone knows if they are still in business, or is it unfortunately another UK lab that has closed?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

|  IP: Logged

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 30, 2010 02:43 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Adrian,
Try giving them a call-02089920037 or mobile 07974926291,Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Ian O'Reilly
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2010 03:36 AM      Profile for Ian O'Reilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony Scot was at the last BFCC, I had a chat with him still has the lab although he is not as busy as he would like to be, He brought a lot of my equipment when I closed the lab down.
Nice chap.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted March 31, 2010 01:40 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the information. There must have been a temporary problem with their website as it's back now:
http://www.film-photo.co.uk/

It doesn't look like they can but I was wondering if by any remote chance they might be equipped to produce Super 8 prints, as there seems to be increasing evidence that Andec in Germany are the only remaining lab in the world that can!

Ian - I wondered if they bought your Super 8 printer or did someone else have it?

Collectors might be interesting in seeing the photos of the amazing selection of equipment on offer on the 'for sale' part of the site. This includes a "Takita 16mm to Super 8mm Reduction Printer = £1,200." Sounds a bargain!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2010 02:24 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with producing prints now is Kodak only special orders super 8mm stock in large bunches. Unless you have loads of orders or deep pockets(lots of money) it is hard to get into that.

Ian O'Reilly
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 02, 2010 03:49 PM      Profile for Ian O'Reilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Adrian you are quite right, Tony Scott brought my printers (Takta's reduction
16mm /8mm and 8mm to 16mm blow) along with other equipment when I closed the
lab down back in 2000.(sad Day).
We also sold the Peterson panel printer to Rank labs Denham in the mid 90's who
Then moved it to Film Lab North when they closed, who were responsible for doing
Derann's prints.
So that printer is now sitting somewhere collecting dust, Perhaps Mr Scott should
put in a bid to purchase the said machine, fast printer runs at 200fpm.
The reason (we were told by Kodak) they stopped producing double 8mm print
stock is that the perforators were worn out and was not viable to renew.
So come Mr Scott save the 8mm from extinction.!!!!

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted April 02, 2010 04:14 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian,
Sorry about the questions, but I wondered if you could explain one or two things I'm unsure of.
When was it that Kodak stopped producing double 8mm stock? Wasn't it this that Film Labs North were using until they closed, with Derann slitting the prints after printing?
So is it the case that this is no longer available, but 'single' (as opposed to double) 8mm stock is, and this can't be used on printers designed for the double stock? If so, does that mean that the Peterson panel printer is OK for 'single' stock - and could this be the only printer, apart from whatever Andec use that, that's potentially available and suitable for 'bulk' 8mm printing?
Was it desirable to use double stock because it makes the prints less expensive, if it's less than twice the price of 'single' stock?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Ian O'Reilly
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 03, 2010 12:58 AM      Profile for Ian O'Reilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Adrian
All release prints are printed on double 8 (16mm width with 8mm perforations) two
types of format 1-3 and 1-4 Film lab North use 1-3 format (two prints per run of
16mm neg) I thought Derann prints were on Agfa polyester base, could be wrong?
Kodak Single 8 mm is camera stock and will not run on the Peterson and would not
be viable to print as release prints.
And remember any printing will have to be done on a wet gate printer otherwise
neg defects and the dreaded sparkle will appear.
We used to have to put a special order in with Kodak two months in advance 1/2
million feet minimum to keep ample supply.
We did have a problem with one batch of 1-4 stock which was returned to Kodak
with bruised perfs, and I think this was why they were reluctant to carry on with
1-4 format.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 07, 2010 09:14 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just wonder haw many machines like this were made during that era?

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC