8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Toy Train advice please

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Toy Train advice please
Mark Todd
Film God

- posted April 17, 2010 07:40 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi would appreciate a bit of advice re the Tomy battery operated trains the nippers are well in to at the moment, must admit I like them too now, must be a bloke thing.

Anyway these Tomy trains are upgraded motor real life copy`s of Japanses trains with faster motors than the usual Thomas blue ( plarail ) rail sets.

There are some very nice ones.

Anyway the nippers often have a few going at once, they are great fun, But they do give off quite a strong smell from the small motors.

It can actually get quite noticeable in the room and hang about etc and can then cause me to cough and feel a bit breathey etc.

Anyway after the odd cough a light went on in my head somewhere as often so strong RE Ozone production from brushes in motors !!!! and Ozone is seriously nasty stuff on your health etc.

Getting to the question !! now, is a small 1.5 volt battery motor likely to produce Ozone.

I never smelt it from my cine projector motors and far bigger and they have brushes though still faily low voltage.

Anyway as one of the nippers does have asthma thought I would ask on here as plenty of technical types and also train in the know types as well.

Thanks in advance Mark.

|  IP: Logged

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2010 08:56 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark
I have noticed this smell as well on my OO gauge electric trains, also I collect old Dalek toys from the 60s and 70s and some of them create a strong smell from their motors.
I have always though that is is an age thing, all my "toys" are about 20 to 40 years old.
How old is your kid's trainset?

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted April 17, 2010 09:06 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Patrick on the whole brand new bought via ebay with the middle lads birthday cash.

Great fun but as I say a flash !!! of something I heard RE ozone popped up etc.

Best Mark.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 17, 2010 10:56 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark,

Really not much that can be done. You can try polishing the commutator if you can get to it. The worse the contact between the brushes and commutator, the more sparking there will be. In a more expesive motor the brushes would be replaceable, but probably not in this case.

The thing about it is the motor is inductive and every time the commutator passes another segment, the energy in the now disconnected segment wants to keep the current flowing so you get a spark. There are ways of constructing the motor to deal with this, but that adds cost.

With Summer on the way a little outdoor railroading may be just the thing!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC