8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » One of the Rare Ones: The Wittnauer Cine-Twin Cam/Projector.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: One of the Rare Ones: The Wittnauer Cine-Twin Cam/Projector.
Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2010 05:47 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have got to see this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjj1unUgaXA

Built by Mr. Oxberry (of animation stand fame) this is crazy in its complexity, yet brilliant in its own way.
"Convenient" might be a stretch, especially with 3 D-size batteries in it. A few hand-held rolls through this one should develop your forearms.
I do like the large Mitchell-style viewfinder on the side... [Smile]

A throwback, really, to the 1890es cameras that also served as projectors in some cases.
I love such things for how they were forced through, regardless of whether the technology was ready for it or not.

I would love to see one in action...

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 12, 2010 06:27 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that great link Claus. I really enjoyed Kerry Decker's
'tour' of the Wittnauer camera/projector.
Kerry Decker lived here in Orlando ,where he ran a photo shop with his father. As a matter of fact, I bought my first super 8 projector (a Eumig 807) from Kerry in 1972. He was a real fan of cine, and his enthusiasm was infectious. He ran a weekly show on the local cable channel here, devoted mainly to old cine and photo topics.
Sadly, Kerry passed away a couple of months ago.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 12, 2010 09:30 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know that.

I've been following his cine stuff on You Tube for a while and thinking how well he'd fit in here.

Here's a nice piece he did after Blackhawk stopped producing movies on film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_342j9zniQ

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted May 13, 2010 02:04 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That could be the ancestor of the extra rare Yashica Hobbyist camera/projector combo...

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 13, 2010 08:31 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally when one thing tries to do the job of two things, it does neither of them very well!

I'm building an operating model of a WW2 US Army amphibious Jeep right now. Fascinating beast! Unfortunately the real ones were miserable to drive and had the habit of sinking in anything but calm seas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARh2eW6m-Is

So trying to be a Jeep and a boat leaves you with a Jeep hauling a hull around and a boat dragging four tires through the water.

In the case of this cine hybrid, we have what seems to be a very heavy movie camera, a projection lamp getting all sorts of mechanical shocks and no way to watch movies if you are partway through shooting a roll of film.

--------------------

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2010 09:38 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
Interesting that you knew him, and that he was a 'local boy';
I'll have to check out what other episodes of him there are on YouTube.

Jean-Marc,
Do tell! One of the other 'odd ones' [Smile]

Steve,
Re: amphibious vehicles; here in DC we have some WW2 models being used for tourism; they're called "DC Ducks."
On the road, they slog along because they are underpowered; in water they are about as graceful as a bathtub with wheels, so, yes, two things at once....neither is good.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted May 13, 2010 09:55 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claus: to be honest, I never saw it with my very eyes, only a reproduction of the box. A very basic silent super 8 camera (think something along the lines of the Zeta 1), the front end (optics and gate) of it could be attached to a strange assay used as a feeder/take-up film transport, turning the camera into a projector. According to Jurgen Lossau, only a handful were made.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 13, 2010 09:56 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Amphibious Jeeps were designed after the Ducks, and are much smaller, based on the guts of a standard WW2 Jeep. They were originally called a "Sea Jeep", later shortened to a "Seep", which is a really poor name for something which is meant to...you know...float.

--------------------

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2010 09:18 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just picked up one of these. It does not appear to have ever been used. It comes with a two piece leather case. One piece for the camera and one for the base. The leather case looks brand new. I've never seen anything like it. Loaded movie and ran it...Pretty cool, but definitely more of a gimmick than serious projector. If I get the time and can figure out how to post pics here, I'll put some up. Maybe film it in action and post on YouTube.

Thomas Dafnides
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2010 10:26 PM      Profile for Thomas Dafnides     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What bulb did this use? Is the picture bright?

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2010 10:08 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't read the letter designation on the bulb..it looks like CEM. I can read that it is a 400W 120V bulb. Checking Don's Bulbs it lists a CLA as a replacement although that is a 300W bulb. It is about 4.5 inches long T8.5 and single bayonet. I have just viewed film by projecting on a sheet of paper from about three feet and it appears quite nice. The single bayonet type mount is easy to remove and install, and I imagine the best practice would have been to remove it while using it as a camera, and then installing it when used as a projector.

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2010 09:33 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the correct letter designation is BEM

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2010 10:16 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here you go Claus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TksblsJ3P0

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2010 11:13 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Barry.

Quite a device [Smile]

Claus.

--------------------

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2010 10:53 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claus,my Wittnauers show a well lit,sharp, three foot wide picture.I've always wondered if Jaques Bogopolsky had anything to do with these odd machines.Throughout his life he was into weird equipment(and wonderful stuff as well!!).I know his US firm Bolsey,made 35mm cameras for Wittnauer.The Cine-Twin is right up his alley!So,who knows,eh? Jaques was a genius.Trev

http://www.filmstips.com

--------------------
Trevor

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 16, 2010 11:11 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was developed by a guy named John Oxberry. I don't think Kerry Decker had a power cord for it, otherwise, I think he would have shown it in action on his YouTube video.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC