8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » What happened to all the great Horror actors? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What happened to all the great Horror actors?
Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2011 09:50 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We did meet and Doug posted a picture of us together with my oldest daughter in the group. What I meant by "see you in action" was performing. You, Gary and Osi should go on tour. Osi and his wife can perform their music and, in between, you and Gary can do a little patter for comic relief.

[ April 19, 2011, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: Brad Kimball ]

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 19, 2011 10:39 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I meant was ...

It's one thing to say, "Well gee, if I made a million dollars, I wouldn't let it go to MY head" ...

and usually they are the first people to fall big time.

My wife knows the score already ...

I would rather be a pauper, with only my wife and son and a few slight dollars in the bank ... then have all the money in the world and have an inflated ego that will cause me to end up losing my family due to my own stupidity.

Look, I have done over 17 albums and for a period of years, I didn't even want to listen to them, because I'd listen to them and wonder why in the hell I was struggling just to make a dollar, when nearly no talent hacks are on the big labels and making millions.

... it's not ego, it's just that the music I've written has a classic pop sensibility that really sells. Everybody that has had the chance to listen to it always say the same thing to me, "Why the hell aren't you out there?"

... and I throw up my hands in frustration.

Now, with the plan my wife and I have qworked out over the last year, we are mere months away from potential success, and I am truly scared of success.

I want the best for my family, to be sure, but I don't want to destroy myself in the process. I know my inner demons, (and my wife is there to help immesuarably), but I'm an artist and like many (not all) artists, I'm quite ego centered.

Thats a short explanation.

Its one thing to look from the outside and say that you can be as good at handling it, it's another thing to inside and dealing with all the tempatations and such that are inherent in the artistic endeavor of choice.

... and I just realized that this topic has completely lost it's direction! Oh well ...

I'd love to do stand-up with Shorty! The question is, who would play Ollie or Stan?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted April 19, 2011 11:01 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Everybody that has had the chance to listen to it always say the same thing to me, "Why the hell aren't you out there?"

Well, why aren't you?

I'm sorry, Osi, but I don't get this at all. You speak as if the industry is just waiting for you to bring them your stuff, before whisking you off in a limo.

You've recorded 17 albums? Do you have a link to anywhere I can hear a track or two? As a musician myself, I am genuinely interested.
Let me tell you something - nobody is waiting to hear your work no matter how good it may be or how talented you are.
If your work doesn't land on the right ears (for want of a better phrase) it'll never get further than your own locality and even that depends upon you doing a lot of hard work AFTER writing and recording your stuff.
My songs have been getting radio play here for a long time but I certainly don't have to worry about handling stardom or acquiring a huge ego or wonder what it'll be like when everybody wants to know me ( to paraphrase your good self).
I am personally acquainted with many, many very talented songwriters who can't get their songs heard and who are almost literally starving.

However, I do wish you luck , as I would wish any fellow musician luck. If you find success, I will be among the first to congratulate you - I'll know what it would mean to an artist.
But, my perception, based on your posts is that you have no idea how the music industry works. Your head, my friend, is in the clouds.

quote:
it's just that the music I've written has a classic pop sensibility that really sells.
That just sounds big-headed.
Why, then, hasn't it sold?

I'm sorry to be blunt.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted April 19, 2011 12:07 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh that's right Brad, we DID have a picture, but where is it, haven't seen it yet - Send me a copy if you can - Hope to maybe see you in Columbus

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 19, 2011 01:02 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing wrong with bluntness, my friend. [Smile]

Of course, the industry isn't waiting on me, I have to come with the right combination of elements (writing, melody as well as just the right time period and the use of the elements available to that time period) to entice the industry as, no matter how good it is, if it doesn't get to the right people, it doesn't matter a hill of beans how truly good it is.

I must say, there are more potential avenues to get your music heard then lets say, fifteen years ago.

I'm very private about my music, as I may very well have an irrational fear of it being stolen. By the way, shake hands with another nearly starving writer! [Big Grin]

I should have really re-worded that one statement to be ... "It has a pop sensibility that at one time, sold quite well"

I'm going to try, with this music video, to attempt getting back into it without going through the old fashioned way of doing things, (constant demo's, long coffee house circuits like before, going through the whole "grass roots" method).

I was in the business briefly about 20 or so years ago and taking that road led to nearly nothing but frustration. These days, there are other options.

Oh, here's funny one that I hadn't taken into account ...

It's been 15 years since I last did any vocals on a song! I'm having to re-learn all those little tricks, as I was able to secure a decent microphone, but found enormous problems with my singing that, of course, you don't catch listening to yourself
with "the naked ear"!

To end this post, if nothing comes of it this time around, I'm already happy with the thought that I won't be heartbroken or bitter over it and fortunately, my family won't go without food on the table.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted April 19, 2011 01:25 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
constant demo's, long coffee house circuits like before, going through the whole "grass roots" method).

If you truly want your stuff to be heard then you'll need to send out demos and you'll need to get out and gig your ass off - there is no other way - take that or leave it!!

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2011 03:43 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, if you search under "CineSea 3 Collectors Convention Pictures" from October 4, 2010 you will see the group photo that Doug took of us.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC