8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Drive In Speakers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Drive In Speakers
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 27, 2011 11:24 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

What I Got For Christmas

I decided to sneak a little bit of cinema themed decor into our shared home cinema/living room/dining room. One thing I thought would be really cool would be to add a drive-in-theater speaker.

Back in the golden days of the Drive-Ins these metal cased speakers would hang on the windows of the cars in the theaters and hang on poles between shows. Drive-Ins these days are basically all FM stereo, so these are pretty rarely used in the few places Drive-Ins even exist.

I have this theory that you simply can't have enough speakers in your home cinema sound system, and somehow justified to myself that if I had a small speaker on the end table next to where I sit I could turn off the rest of the symphony while other people in the house are trying to sleep, and the perfect candidate for this desirable (...and completely unselfish) addition would be a drive-in speaker. (Either that or I just wanted one...)

So I started looking on E-bay and found tons of them, in various states of repair ranging from cheap (dead) ones to shiny mint condition (expensive) ones. They even had paired ones on storage poles, but this is a little over the top for my living room.

I thought about buying a dead one and fixing it up. The quest for parts lead to a seller in Tucson and this discovery of a brand new unit for a middling price:

RCA Style Drive-In Speaker

It turns out these are popular among owners of classic cars: they display them with the speakers on their windows at car shows.

Being not easy to shop for I added it to my Christmas list (...again: just trying to help others!) and my wife bought me one for Christmas!

It is larger than I expected and my wife has declared it (ummm) "ugly", but I promised I will provide a tasteful display mount and we can hide it when her friends and family are in-house. (Maybe I'll take my speaker and we'll BOTH become scarce!)

The other thing is my audio system is designed to take either a monaural or stereo audio signal and provide a two channel input for my amp. Somehow I now need to derive a monaural, amplified channel from this and have it available even with the stereo speakers off. I'll be buying parts soon!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 27, 2011 12:52 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
COOL! RETRO!

(I'm fond of that!) [Wink]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 27, 2011 01:42 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Osi!

I had mixed feelings about getting the brand new one because a lot of the used ones come labeled for the theater they were used in, and these were never used at one. It would have been great to find one for a local theater.

...by the same token it's a lot easier to sell my wife on something new and shiny looking than something that's been out in the weather for a couple of decades!

Next step: In-Law's Portrait down, 35mm reel up! (heh!, hehhhhh!!)

--------------------

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted December 27, 2011 03:07 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck with the last one!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 27, 2011 04:30 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where there's a will there's a way!

I'll go for a popcorn machine and a ticket booth and let her negotiate me back to the reel! [Wink]

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 28, 2011 08:51 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few years ago I attended a Drive-In in Vermont. They had just a few of this model of speaker at each screen. The rest of the field got audio by FM broadcast

This is what they look like in their natural habitat (and condition.).

-

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 02, 2012 01:32 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just kludged it (very carefully) into the Aux. Speaker output of my ST-1200HD and gave it a try: It actually sounds pretty good.

I'm guessing a British railroad film presented in an American living room using a drive-in speaker could well be a first in the history of Cinema.

I also see it being useful as a way of masking some of the projector sound by placing it between the projectors and the audience.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC