8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Identify 35mm Projector

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Identify 35mm Projector
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 16, 2012 01:07 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone help regarding this projector. The local reporter sent me this photo of the No2 Projector that was used in the old La Scala cinema in Scotland "closed long ago" and asked if I new what it is?. I have know idea what the projector is and any help would be appreciated.

-

Graham.

|  IP: Logged

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2012 02:19 PM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't see enough of the actual projector, mostly showing the arc-housing. which was commonly attatched to many different makes of projector. Looking at what is showing of the door housing the mechanism, it could be a Westar.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted January 16, 2012 03:01 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham

Are you sure that's not a stove with an oven? It looks like something my grandma had!

Pat

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 16, 2012 04:46 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is amazing [Smile] during the 60s I remember watching such films as The Sand Pebbles, The Great Escape and Zulu at this cinema and it was good. I came across an old photo from the Glasgow Herald I think taken, looking at the film on the display Toy Tiger around 1956. Although long before we moved to that town in 1964. In 2001 the local paper got access above a false ceiling which is now a store and got onto the old circle and projection room "thats the photo as sent to me" everything looks frozen in time. I got the idea to contact the local paper, and I think they are interested in doing an article on it. Its sad just like the many cinemas out here to close and very little record of the people that worked in these places and the interesting stories that I am sure all cinemas have. Just to quietly close and disappear of the map as if no one cared seems a shame. So hopefuuly something come of it.
 -

Graham.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted January 17, 2012 01:00 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I can tell you what that projector is. It is a Junk projector. [Razz]

(Seriously we can't see the projector at all.)

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 17, 2012 01:27 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about that [Roll Eyes] any ideas on the lamphouse though. I did look have a look at the Westar on the internet but cant find one to match?

Graham.

PS. I did find out that the cinema opened in 1936 and closed mid-70s with seating for about 930. The last film I watched was "Serpico" way back in 1973. Well it might now be a pile of junk but my bet is that its original and lasted 40 years.....not to bad [Wink] I must admit to being surprised at the condition in the photo and I might be looking back with rose coloured glasses, but at the time we were happy just to have somewhere to go to watch films and dont remember any complaints.

Those were the days [Roll Eyes]

[ January 17, 2012, 02:35 AM: Message edited by: Graham Ritchie ]

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 17, 2012 05:13 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Morning Graham. Disused 35mm projectors still left in old buildings are everywhere it seems with a couple in our town also totally rusted up and covered with pigeon droppings from open roofing. Here is another picture of a disused machine.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/odins_raven/5319759092/in/photostream/
[Frown]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC