8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » FILM LOCATIONS NEAR MEMBERS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: FILM LOCATIONS NEAR MEMBERS
Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 09, 2012 02:07 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
How about this for a talking point,I've always been fascinated by
film locations where ever they may be,and there's got to be many
out there that our Forum members know of that have been used
near where they live.In the village where I live,scenes for Sir Carol
Reed's "THE STARS LOOK DOWN", were shot Cornel Wilde's"NO BLADE OF GRASS",Ken Russell's "THE DEVILS" are a few that spring to mind and I'm sure other members can add more.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 09, 2012 02:37 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite close to me is the Vanderbilt Museum in Centerport, Long Island, NY. This is the former estate of William K. Vanderbilt and now a publicly held museum.

In Crocodile Dundee II, Mick comes out to Long Island to storm the estate of a drug lord and rescue his kidnapped girlfriend. The Vanderbilt Museum was used for these scenes.

Northport was "Greenfield, Indiana" in the movie "In and Out". The scene where Kevin Kline's and Tom Selleck's characters first meet was filmed in the diner where we have breakfast a couple of Saturdays a month. Autographed pictures are still on the walls.

One that wasn't is "Mitchell Field, New York" in the movie Pearl Harbor. The Mitchell Field I grew up two miles from doesn't have mountains around it!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2012 02:50 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In DC we have the steep stone stairs near Georgetown University that are featured in "The Exorcist."

Key Bridge has been used in several films.

The White House, the Pentagon and the Capitol have shown up from time to time over the decades... [Big Grin]

Kevin Costner's "No Way Out" actually added a location that doesn't exist here, but is much needed: a Georgetown Metro stop.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2012 03:11 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few miles from my home in Bothell, Washington is an old Catholic Seminary that is now called St. Edwards State Park. it was a location for Frayed as well as some other low budget horror films.

There's a long list of films that were filmed or set in and around Seattle like Sleepless in Seattle, It Happened at the Worlds Fair, An Officer and a Gentleman, The Ring, Singles, WarGames, Harry and the Hendersons, 10 Things I Hate About You and many more.

They also just finished filming scenes for Matt's Chance right here in Bothell.

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2012 03:55 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I live just up the road from Village Roadshow Studios. It's adjoined to Warner Brothers Movie World theme park. One of the Narnia films was shot there, as was the first Scooby Doo.
Currently, Harvey Keitel and Nicole Kidman are making "Fatal Honeymoon" on Gold Coast and Colin Firth is coming to do some scenes for his new feature, "The Railway Man".
The Australian classic 'Muriel's Wedding' was also shot locally. Coolangatta was the setting for Muriel's home town town, Porpoise Spit.
Parts of "Dead Calm" and "House of Wax"(remake)were shot in the area, aswell.

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2012 10:40 PM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I live in Los Angeles, so there's no shortage of film locations around here. I live right down the block from the repulsive streetscape seen in GHOST WORLD. Last weekend I drove to Piru to see the Newhall Mansion, where THE FOLKS AT RED WOLF INN and portions of PETS were filmed. On the way back I accidentally discovered a huge city facade just east of Santa Clarita, hidden in a forest. No idea what it is being used for.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 10, 2012 05:59 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Clause mentioned, we have the famous "Exorcist" house on Prospect Street NW that was used in the 1974 movie, and of course the long stair case next to it (in fact, my wife and I ate dinner across the street from it two weeks ago [Eek!] ).

Also, I pass the church that was used in the movie "A Man Called Peter", all the time. It sits right at the intersection of New York Avenue and H Street, NW.

I'm about 5 hours from the Monroeville Mall, used in George Romero's "Dawn of the Dead" (1978). I finally visited it a couple of years ago.

There's more, but I'll just go on and on..... [Wink]

James.

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 10, 2012 08:28 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First knight was filmed just down the road as i went to the set,Crossplot (Roger Moore),Up in the World(Norman Wisdom) and an episode of Randall & Hopkirk(deceased)were filmed locally.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 10, 2012 10:46 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I live in the same county as Amityville...that Amityville.

The real Amityville Horror house (which was in real life the scene of a multiple murder) is still there. The new owners have tried to alter the appearance of it by changing those famous windows up in the top floor, but the neighborhood gets a lot of curious (and unwanted) traffic, especially around Halloween.

An estate on the North Shore we visit every Fall was used for exteriors in "The Great Gatsby"

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 10, 2012 12:07 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not near my house but two ski resorts that I frequent were locations for movies. On Whistler/Blackomb in British Columbia they filmed Alive on Blackomb peak. Once you've been there you realize the actors did not suffer any hardship like the characters they were portraying, it's a very nice resort.

The other ski area is Timberline on Mt. Hood in Oregon. The old lodge at the ski resort is where they filmed the exterior shots for The Shining. The interior shots and the maze were shot at other locations. The lodge is beautiful inside and out and was built during the depression by the Works Progress Administration. According to Wikipedia several other movies were also filmed or set at the lodge:

The 1941 short musical film, Jingle Belles is set at the lodge.

The 1952 film Bend of the River starring James Stewart, Arthur Kennedy, Julie Adams, and Rock Hudson was partially filmed on the snow above Timberline Lodge, near the Magic Mile chairlift.

The 1960 film All the Young Men, starring Alan Ladd and Sidney Poitier, had some snow scenes filmed at Timberline.

The 1973 version of Lost Horizon, starring Liv Ullman, Michael York, Peter Finch, Sally Kellerman, John Gielgud and Olivia Hussey had portions shot in the Timberline parking lot. Blizzard conditions needed in the film were created by a helicopter. Other scenes were shot in the immediate area while the lodge was a base for the cast and crew.

In 1981, Boris Sagal was directing the TV movie World War III starring Rock Hudson. During filming, Sagal was killed in Timberline Lodge's parking lot when he walked into the tail rotor blades of a helicopter, almost decapitating him.

The 1993 film Hear No Evil was partly filmed at Timberline.

An interesting note is that these two ski resorts are the only two in North America that stay open for skiing every summer.

[ May 10, 2012, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: Bryan Chernick ]

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2012 06:40 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The film 'The Avengers' currently in theatres filmed last summer for a number of weeks in downtown Cleveland. (50 miles north) I work there so I was caught up in the detours as they had a good section of town closed off.

Bill [Smile]

Mitchell Dvoskin
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2012 09:09 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the film The Last Days Of Disco, all the interior shots of the disco were actually filmed in The Landmark Loews Jersey Theatre. They did an amazing job of dressing the lobby to look like a disco.

One of my favorite films, The Station Agent was filmed a few miles from my home. The little train station and the abandoned railway cars are still there.

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2012 03:59 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Norwegian 2003 film "United" was filmed at a nearby town here, with local actors from the area (some of which I actually know quite well).

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2012 07:13 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 1969 film THE MOLLY MAGUIRES was filmed in nearby Eckley Miners' Village, about 20 miles from here. It caused a pretty big sensation at the time. Everybody wanted to see Sean Connery who was still 007 to folks around here [Big Grin] Also, several of the opening scenes of the 1986 film MADE IN U.S.A. starring Chris Penn and Lori Singer were filmed in nearby towns. I worked on it as a driver while they were here. That one never even made it to DVD.

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2012 02:03 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, Here is my list of films made on location at Herne Bay.
"French Dressing" by Ken Russel.
"Blue Jeans" a lesser known box office flop.
"The Medusa Touch." These used the pier and some of the sea front. Herne bay has also been used by the BBC for various productions. "Cockles " 1984, "Little Britain" and CBBCs "The Tweenies". The railway station was used in a 1970 episode of "Some Mothers do 'Ave Em".
Not very far away in the Canterbury area of course is Michael Powell country where he made "A Canterbury Tale".
Margate was used for "Last Orders". Chiham village square has been used frequently for both film and BBC productions.
Cheating a little,in Antonionie's film "Blow Up" he used Maryon Park, Charlton, S.E.London, where I used to play as a boy, but I moved from that area when I grew up. Ken Finch.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC