8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Quatemass The Serial

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Quatemass The Serial
Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted August 20, 2012 08:02 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have this film by the BBC which is a 6 part serial. It's based on the Quatemass 2 film. The projector is huge. Must be heavy. Looks like a RCA or Pagent 16mm?

-

-

-

|  IP: Logged

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 21, 2012 03:05 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I too have the series Pat,and also the projector,it looks to be the
old Bell & Howell 6oo if I'm correct with the valve amplifier(mines
packed in) and the very useful adjustable masking to the gate
aperture.

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2012 04:37 AM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure of the Model #, but the projector is indeed a Bell & Howell with a Tube Amplifier.

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 21, 2012 05:51 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll Have to get it out of storage,but if memoy serves it is the 636
Bell & Howell and I bought mine secondhand about six years ago
and unfortunately the valve amp. had given up the ghost,hence
the reason for storage as I have never had the pleasure of using it.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2012 03:47 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its the wrong way round Quatermass 2 was the BBC first then feature film from Hammer.

The 3 Quatermass's, Experiment, 2 and the Pit from the BBC I have on DVD. Not watched for a while the first Experiment is incomplete (missing believed wiped) the others are complete, Pit good quality too.

Think I must like these stories! Have the original BBC versions on DVD and the Hammer versions on DVD, and from everyone's favourite 8mm distributor Derann. All 3 were 8 reelers (4x400ft), good quality and well abridged.

Did the Quatermass's from the BBC get shown in America?

Although I have Quatermass in 3 different formats, my favourite must be Where Eagles Dare, it's on Betamax, VHS, Laserdisc, Super 8mm, 16mm, and DVD, and if on TV I would probable watch it. I missed it a couple of years ago at Bradford NFTM it was presented in 70mm.

Did anyone confirm the projector?

If anyone on this group had worked at the BBC and they told you to dump all these old tapes in the skip. I don't think the BBC would have anything missing!

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted October 15, 2012 04:55 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David, it wasn't a case of dumping the tapes, they were re used
as video tape was an expensive commodity.The first of the
Quatermass films from DFS was the Quatermass Experiment in
Std 8mm unabridged 9 reels.The QUATERMASS CONCLUSION was
the final instalment starring John Mills, Produced by Ted Childs
(The Sweeney) and Directed by Piers Haggard (Blood on Satan's
Claw) which was a four hour TV special in '79 for Thames Television ( it might be available on 16mm)
The script was again done by Nigel Kneale.as for the projector in the BBC series,it's a dead ringer for the B&H 636. You're quite
right, the BBC series was a hit long before Hammer got the
film rights.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC