8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Canon Auto Zoom 318M Cine Camera

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Canon Auto Zoom 318M Cine Camera
Bradley Stearn
Junior

- posted December 27, 2012 05:13 PM      Profile for Bradley Stearn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recieved my first ever Super 8mm camera for Christmas, I am really excited about learning how to shoot on this format, as I have only ever shot digital.
I wrote a short overview on my blog about the camera and my thoughts so far http://redspectrumpictures.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/canon-auto-zoom-318m-super-8mm-camera.html

Any tips for a beginner shooter?

|  IP: Logged

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2012 06:47 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bradley,

Welcome aboard and congrats on getting into the "little shooting gauge."

Here's a manual for you, if you didn't get one:

http://www.apecity.com/manuals/pdf/canon_318_and_518.pdf

Basic advice:

Clean your gate. Get in the habit of either air-blowing or using a piece of chamois on the gate between each cartridge. It only takes one tiny hair to ruin your filming day.

Get a UV filter for the camera. It cuts the blue of the atmosphere and it protects your lens.

Before inserting a cartridge, slap it several times against the palm of your hand to loosen the film layers and minimize the chance of the film binding and the image jumping. Super-8 is finicky enough as a shooting gauge that we need to "help" it as much as possible [Smile]

Roll off about 4-5secs at the beginning of each cartridge, holding your hand over the lens. I know, seems like a waste, but the very beginning and the end of each cartridge are the most unstable in terms of picture stability.

Video camcorders tend to have auto-focus. Not this film cam.
Zoom all the way in, focus, then pull back and compose your shot.
The eye piece should have a diopter on it, to adjust to your eyesight.

Think wideshot-medium-closeup as individual shots rather than zooming between them.
A zoom is a useful but dangerous tool. I'd pick two or three well-composed shots over a sloppy zoom any day.

Very wide shots don't generally work for S-8 unless you have very fine-grain film.

Use a tripod/monopod whenever possible.

If your camera has the option of manual iris setting, get the reading off the built-in meter, then set the iris manually in order to avoid "pulsing" in the exposure when the automation reacts to the surroundings.

Think before each shot. At 18 fps, you have 3mins 30secs of filmic goodness (including the runoff at each end of the cartridge) to make your statement. Make good use.

We live in uncertain times when it comes to Super-8 shooting. Glad to see a newcomer stepping into the "arena" [Big Grin]

I hope this helps; feel free to ask questions,

Best,
Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Bradley Stearn
Junior

- posted December 28, 2012 08:52 AM      Profile for Bradley Stearn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Claus thanks for the fast and great reply, I really appreciate the help.
For the past two years I have been into DSLR filmmaking, so pulling focus manually whilst filming is something I am used to and improving with.
I will definitely be purchasing a filter to protect the lens glass, I think it is a 40mm thread on my camera.
Videos like this inspired me to shoot Super 8, http://youtu.be/tqe4Ho6_YiY

Thanks for sharing the manual as well

Bradley

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2012 12:34 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bradley, welcome to the forum. A few other words of advice before you start shooting. I don't think you have the option of a manual iris control on that camera so make sure the automatic iris is working properly. You will see the f scale in the viewfinder and can compare that to an external meter or use the Sunny 16 rule .

You will also need batteries for the light meter but mercury batteries are no longer available. Your camera takes the Mallory 625 battery. You can get a Wein MRB625 as a replacement. They don't last as long as the mercury cells did but they are cheap and will give the proper voltage. I have found that they last at least a few months.

Good luck!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC