8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » When did half-time shows start to suck so bad?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: When did half-time shows start to suck so bad?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 04, 2013 02:16 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, disclaimor if we have Beyonce fans on here, you won't like it!

Now, I have never even listened to Beyonce music, but I thought, "What the heck, lets give it a chance".

1. I didn't hear one song that I would want to listen to twice. Was this the best material that Beyonce has done? Music is going to hell.

2. Technical note: Beyonce's vocals were too buried in the mix. I tried it on both the little speakers on my TV and the full stereo version. yeah, I know, it was a stadium, but I have heard other half-time superbowl shows, and the mix was MUCH better.

3. To her credit, she danced well. Must be there to take attention off the fact that the songs are, well to put it as cleanly as possible, "poo"

It has been a current thing for the last few years that, to appeal to a younger audience, they get someone from the last 5 or 10 years ago to perform, but this is a big mistake., It would make much more sense to have someone perform with a track record of, lets say thrity years or more. Take Cheap Trick, for instance, still rocking after all these years with rock anthems that would have the whole stadium going full tilt!

Anyway, that's my opinion.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 04, 2013 02:21 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Osi, don't hold your breath for Cheap Trick doing a Superbowl half-time show.
[Smile]

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted February 04, 2013 02:28 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheap Trick is cool :-)

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2013 02:31 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not a Beyonce fan either...I don't like modern dance music but some people do...

She does have a great voice...she can sing.

I didn't watch the half time show...last time I did THE WHO played...now that was cool!

Bill [Smile]

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 04, 2013 02:53 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not particularly a fan of Beyonce's work but, she is excellent at what she does.

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2013 03:04 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watching a film so my full time was better than your half time entertainment.

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2013 03:26 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, what was better, the half-time show or the 35 minute blackout?

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 04, 2013 03:31 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh....

Were they singing?

I was distracted!

(Damn hormones!)

Actually there were graphic sequences that kind of reminded me of parts of "Yellow Submarine". I didn't realize LSD had made such a comeback.

I have a strange relationship with the Super-Bowl. Actually the vast majority of football games I've ever seen have been Super Bowls because I don't follow football but keep getting invited to these parties!

I'm sitting there and everybody else in the room is sprawled on the couches looking very athletic with football jerseys pulled down over Beer Bellies...

I'm thinking:

"They're running and they're...falling down again...and everybody is yelling....I don't understand what all the fuss is about!"

The food and drinks were good, though!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2013 09:39 AM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Steve, the only time I watched the Super Bowl was when I was invited to a party. The food was good for a pot luck but the only thing interesting was the commercials. I can think of so many other ways to utilize my time; I honestly don't understand what all the Hoopla is about the Super Bowl! I was invited to a football game once and that was more interesting because the weather was nice and I was there in person. But sitting for hours in front of a television watching the Super Bowl? Not for me! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2013 06:13 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have noticed there are a lot of folks on the forum with VERY STRONG opinions of the "if I don't like it it should not exist" variety. [Smile]

I suppose people who follow football would be interested in the Super Bowl...just a guess though.

Now I'll offer my STRONG OPINION....the commercials suck.

Bill [Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 05, 2013 06:22 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bill,

I don't think either Joe or I are saying that anybody who likes Football shouldn't enjoy it as much as they want.

Somebody into watching films on film these days understands exactly what "to each their own" really means and respects the concept fully!

All I'm saying is I'm not into it myself. I chiefly went to hang out among friends. If I'd been home I might not have tuned in at all.

I realize there is something almost subversive about being an American male who isn't into it, but that's me: the Rebel!

--------------------

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2013 06:38 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I know you what you mean....I know the posts are in good fun.

I guess it just comes from my father's attitude about things...he likes country music so all other music is garbage, he doesn't like sports so there is no need for them etc. Don't get me wrong I love my dad. He's great, but maddening sometimes! [Smile]

My way of seeing things is if I don't like it...well someone does. That being said I'm sure many people enjoyed the commercials...I took the opportunity to read the 8mm Forum!

Bill [Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 05, 2013 06:44 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Dad hated Rock and Roll so much that when he rarely found something he liked he'd listen in private so no one would know!

One day he was listening to some pretty wild sounding Big Band music and I said:

"What did Grandpa say about this?"

He said:

"He hated it!"

I said:

"Seeee?!"

[ February 05, 2013, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 05, 2013 08:18 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beyonce could not even sing the National Anthem at Prsident Obama's inauguration - she had to lip sync it! What a cop out, compared with Kelley Clarkson who did a wonderful live performance singing 'My Country Tis Of Thee".
As for American Football - what a bore! Give me rugby or soccer any day.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2013 08:40 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah!....Football sucks!

Bill [Razz]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 05, 2013 09:52 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a certain bonding ritual among men I can't participate in in any normal manner:

"Are you into sports?"
"Sure!"
"What do you like?"
"Canoeing, Hiking and Mountain Biking!"

They never seem to recover from that!

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 06, 2013 02:50 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out here its "Rugby", thats the number one sport.

I remember way back in 1997 [Roll Eyes] I was working for an airline at the time and was looking after a number of ATR72 aircraft on tarmac, when one particular aircraft was just minutes from leaving its gate. The pilot saw me from the cockpit and was waving frantically to get my attention. My first thoughts were "whats wrong now" [Roll Eyes] I boarded the aircraft which was a full flight and heading direct to Auckland, anyway I made my way through the cabin got to the flight deck, the captain saw me took his headset off and turned to me with a serious look, and said....so what did you think of the "All Blacks Vs Scotland" game.

Here is me thinking whats wrong, and all he wanted to do was talk about rugby, anyway we had a quick chat about the game, Scotland lost by the way [Frown] then I suggested that its time to get going, so he replied, we will catch up later. I walked back through the cabin and by this time everyone were in their seat belts, all ready to go. One of the cabin staff said...is everything ok...I replied yes everything is fine. [Smile] I could not say, we were just talking about the Scotland game......ah memories [Big Grin]

Graham.

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2013 03:36 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I replied yes everything is fine.
Well, you should have mumbled something about horizontal boosters and alluvial dampers... [Wink]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 06, 2013 10:50 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham's airline story reminds me that a lot of passengers, including myself, get nervous when they see anything even the slightest unusual going on. Many years ago I was on board for a Republic Airlines flight from Huntsville Alabama to Orlando. We were all set to go when the pilot shut off the engines and announces a slight mechanical problem. Then a few minutes later a mechanic pulls up in his tractor alongside the left wind and literally starts pounding on the engine with a mallet! Then the pilot announces that everything is fine, and off we go! [Eek!]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 06, 2013 01:39 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back to the Superbowl ...

The funny thing is that the young lady who sang the national athem accompanied by the piano (which she played, and she didn't lip sync, she sang it!), was outstanding. Was that Alicia Keyes, or something like that?

Now, the funny thing is that people were complaining that she took to long to sing it ... morons. It was a lovely rendition of the National Athem.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 06, 2013 04:39 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like that story...Paul [Smile]

I remember once doing a pre-flight on a ATR72, when at the last minute a main wheel needed changing. I called "Ops" to hold the boarding of that flight until that wheel was changed, however the Ops person had already made the anouncement in the terminal for boarding, and over the radio called me and said... "sorry Haggis they are on the way". To save time I had already removed the left outer main wheel while the mechanic was on his way from the hanger with another one.

Anyway as all those passengers were boarding from the rear, they were looking at me with "horror" as I was standing there with this wheel on the ground winking at them. [Eek!] [Eek!] ....it was funny to see the reaction. [Big Grin]

I got on the headset to inform the pilots what we were doing, but they showed little interest "reading the paper" so I said I will get back to them later, anyway we fitted a new wheel and the aircraft left the gate only a few minutes late.....fun times. I wish I had a camera at the time to capture the looks I got from those passengers. [Big Grin]

Graham.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 06, 2013 06:38 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's another airline story for Graham.
About 5 years ago I was in Charlotte North Carolina waiting for a US Airways flight to London Gatwick. I arrived at the gate at boarding time, and we waited, and waited. The airline rep got on the speaker and announced that there was a mechanical problem with the plane, an Airbus A300, and they would have to fix it. An hour later she came back on the speaker and announced there would be a further delay of 2 hours because the pilot now had to take a test run to 45,000 FT to make sure it was OK to cross the Atlantic! [Eek!] [Eek!]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted February 07, 2013 03:04 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a good thing you've got going, if you all congregate,
have a few beers and enjoy your game, what's the harm in that.
Enjoy what you've got while it's there, life is short.

Jeff Missinne
Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2013 04:02 PM      Profile for Jeff Missinne   Email Jeff Missinne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every generation is obliged to tell the next that their taste in music is crap. It was just as true when Swing 'n' Sway with Sammy Kaye was giving way to Rock 'n' Roll with Elvis. So like what else is new? [Roll Eyes]

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2013 04:38 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's new?

Football sucks!

That's what.

Bill [Razz]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC